Diving with hangovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"All things in moderation." -Socrates

A person can relax with a couple of beers after the day's diving is done, without any ill effects. Just as I wouldn't advocate getting sloppy drunk and diving hungover, neither would I advocate complete abstinence.

I wonder if they sell the halos some people seem to wear, through LeisurePro or ScubaToys. I'm going to have to get me one of those. I hope it won't clash with my dive gear, though...

:shakehead:

Here Here!!! Mostly why I was trolling a bit. What is hung over? What is drunk? Tipsy? Hmmm. If I get tipsy do I get hung over or just a little slow the next morning. Wait maybe my couple of drinks gave me a bit of a headache the next morning. Is that hungover? So I can't dive. It's just not an easy question unless you were toilet trained at gun point.

And what about that line from the insurance form. Any lawyer worth his salt would rip that to shreds. Everything is "after drugs or alcohol." Wouldn't someone have to prove it was a contributing factor to the claim to deny it? After all last time I checked it was still legal to consume alcohol in most countries.

To be honest, I'm shocked at the responses. I figured this would turn into an exchange of hangover curatives. ...

The diving culture I came from had quite different attitudes on the subject, the example being the instructor with his Nitrox mix.

But, now that someone wisely brought up the role of lawyers I better not elaborate any more. :)

And I understand, the best cure is prevention. :)

To be honest, I'm shocked at the responses. I figured this would turn into an exchange of hangover curatives. ...

The diving culture I came from had quite different attitudes on the subject, the example being the instructor with his Nitrox mix.

But, now that someone wisely brought up the role of lawyers I better not elaborate any more. :)

And I understand, the best cure is prevention. :)

I have a hunch that you and I have come from very similar cultures. :14:

Dive Fitness...stay sober before the dive...work out lifting weights instead of glasses...and you stay healthy...we hope. Lift glasses after the dive.

Personally, the best tasting beer for me is the one I have after a day of diving. Then I have another one and another one :)

I mean do people need alcohol THAT much that they can't go one freakin' day/night without drinking whether they are on vacation or not?!

Throwing up in the regs is always fun with a hangover. The fish love it. :wink: I remember hoping I didn't have to share air with anybody during the dive. (Always throw up in your alternate) lol

It's simple your on vacation and planning to do some diving. Think about your opprotunities to do the same type of diving at home. For most of us they are few and far between. Then think about how easy it would be to induce yourself into a seven day hangover (getting drunk) and ruining your diving the next day because it wasn't a safe option for yourself or your buddy. I look at it like this when I am at home I can get drunk and have a hangover the next day any night of the week but what I can't do everyday is go diving and that's why when I make plans to go diving I take the responsible route and control myself. I am not saying that I avoid the frozen drinks and cold beer but I enjoy them in moderation. I know of live aboards that that furnish drinks anytime you want one but once you have consumed alcohol you are no longer a diver and the only way you will be breathing underwater is with your snorkel because they are not going to give you a tank. The other post above stated what we where all taught in open water training and for those who may have forgot this part of the book may want to go back and review. It's all about continued education and knowing your personal limits when it comes to drinking and diving.

What about drinking after diving? I know many people crack open a beer or two on the way back to shore, but is a big night ill-advised? I also have seen it advised that you maintain hydration after diving, any info or thoughts on post dive celebrations?

Wow...glad you folks haven't been around for a few of my post-party dives.

Yes, I understand the risk associated with hangover/dehydration and DCS. It still hasn't stopped me from doing dives after a night of partying, a few hours of sleep, and a smoothie and gatorade before I hit the boat.

On a serious note: If you plan on drinking the night before diving, go ahead and start hydrating EARLY and heavily. That way you are going in very well hydrated, so you will only lose so much when drinking. Moderation is key, and while I'm no heavyweight it requires many beers to get me hung over. Just chill out, slow down, and enjoy the night. Drink another gatorade before you hit the sack, then wake up, have your fruit smoothie for some energy and another gatorade, promptly followed by water during surface intervals.

Note: This advice does not come from a doctor, a diving professional, or anybody else who really knows anything about anything. Follow instructions at your own risk, as I am NOT responsible for you getting all bent up after a hard night of partying.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom