Diving with nitrox then flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting but not really actionable unless you have a way to understand which group you would fall into:
  1. those who do not develop bubbles
  2. those who occasionally develop bubbles
  3. those “bubble-prone” divers who develop bubbles after every dive.
Personally, I try to have at least 24 hours after the last dive and normally don’t even dive the day before the return flight as I need that day to dry out the gear!

This display follows 39 dives on a liveaboard over the course of 9 days, all on 32%. A single data point, to be sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpeg
    IMG_0950.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 130
I try to have at least 24 hours after the last dive and normally don’t even dive the day before the return flight as I need that day to dry out the gear!

That's what I do myself. I never fly less than 24 hours after the last dive. For me it isn't just the flying but the effort in shleping luggage, dehydration, stress, etc. all add up to the negative credit along with residual nitrogen. I rather play it safe and relax my body a little before getting on the flight home with all of its associate stress.

I recently did four dives over two days to approximately 70 feet using a 35% nitrox mix. I was
already on the plane when I realized that the advised 24 hours had not elapsed since my last dive...it had only been 18 hours. I was a little nervous, but didn't feel anything and that was two weeks ago.
Was it the nitrox, was 18 hours enough, a combination of both, or was I just lucky?

I did meet a guy once who said I was crazy to worry about flying within 24 hours after diving. that he did it all the time. Personally, I'd rather not take the chance.
24 hours was the old recommendation. More recent data suggests alternatives based on the actual dives. Here is what my Garmin recommends.

1656774097022.png

Actually, it would be if you were using the US Navy's ascent to altitude table to determine fly time, since it would affect your final pressure group, but, let's face it, not many people would know what to do with that.
For being in a "Basic" forum, it can be ignored. If this was in an advanced forum and we are going to split hairs, go into levels of planning, it would be worth throwing into the mix.

Publication at https://scholar.google.com/scholar_...AGBfm0DxF7BCh-FB_023Lt-fRq9vpolaA&oi=scholarr

Conclusion quoted: "Our results do not, so far, justify a change in the current guidelines for safe preflight intervals and seem to confi rm that 24 h of PFSI is reasonably safe after a period of intensive multiday recreational diving."

See also the attached:

Attachments

• FADDEMA2002.ppt [Compatibility Mode].pdf
    835.1 KB · Views: 86
The Navy has ascent to altitude tables that break down recommended times to the number of hours needed after dives, depending upon the diver's pressure group after the last dive.

I've heard they also do O2 post-dive and before flying after a short SI.

- brett

I've heard they also do O2 post-dive and before flying after a short SI.

- brett
I used to have access to the NOAA tables that changed the surface intervals when breathing oxygen, but I cannot find them now. I do that myself before driving home after dives in New Mexico.

Who advised 24 hours?

The DAN Americas' recommendation for those dives is 18 hours. That is what is taught in PADI courses. They advise 12 hours for single dive exposure and 18 for multiple dives.
just to clarify....i believe the times suggested by DAN are "minimum" standards.

to the op.....when we travel and dive we make it a simple rule to just not dive the day before we fly. our holidays are not just about diving. so this gives us time to dry everything out properly, pack it, and it's all ready to go. i am sure for most people if they are not diving agressively, the 18hr suggestion will usually be fine. but my humble suggestion is to keep it at 24 hrs. easy to remember. easy to follow.

just to clarify....i believe the times suggested by DAN are "minimum" standards.
I don't understand what your point. All standards are by definition minimum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom