Diving with nitrox then flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can all agree/disagree until all the cows come home.
I make my own decision especially concerning my own well being so it is 24hrs. Period.
Do you wait even your computer clears you? When I dive nitrox with a 3 dive/day lob regime, my rgbm computer will clear me for flying already next morning (given 3rd dive is not a night dive). That is roughly 15-18hrs based on my observations. If I do not push, often I will get some mornings I will be completely destaurated, thus making it a single day dive, not multi :).

Do you wait even your computer clears you? When I dive nitrox with a 3 dive/day lob regime, my rgbm computer will clear me for flying already next morning (given 3rd dive is not a night dive). That is roughly 15-18hrs based on my observations. If I do not push, often I will get some mornings I will be completely destaurated, thus making it a single day dive, not multi :).
Your computer model is desaturated. Your computer can thus fly.

It appears you're suggesting nitrox is safer but it really depends. If one stays longer on nitrox, the risk may be comparable. It's not clear if gas or NDL times were the limiting factor.

(That said, vacation diving is typically limited by gas, especially when the policy is to surface as a group. In such cases, nitrox would indeed be lower risk.)
I am 72 and I do 10 day trips to Cozumel and other locales, usually diving 2-3 dives a day for 8 days. I dive nitrox 32 (banked) for a little safety edge and because I feel less tired on Nitrox*. I don’t dive the day before flying home. * I recognize the lack of peer reviewed evidence on the nitrox/less tired issue, but for my money, it does make a significant difference.

Single no deco dive 12 hours
Multiple no deco dives 18 hours
Then, you are good to fly

I agree with the folks who simply make the last day of a trip their "deco day"..... If I am flying then it means I'm on vacation and don't want to have to "think" any more than I need to.... I just recently returned from a 10 day trip to Bonaire and we use our "deco-day" to let all the gear dry out and also to do all of the things that we just don't have the energy to do on normal 3-4 dive days...

For example, one of our favorite "deco-day" activities on BON is to visit the Cadushy Distillery in Rincon..... if you haven't visited them.....you should. It's a fun and educational experience. They greet you with shot samples of their products and then provide a full tour of the distilling process right from the harvesting of the cactus to the final product...

The Cadushy Distillery | The Spirit of Bonaire

https://www.cadushy.com/

The OP flew almost a year ago. And has since been active in SB. Pretty sure they survived the flight unbent. Would they have been "safer" with a longer SI? probably. Was a longer SI "necessary"? It seems not.

The Navy will fly a diver within 2 hours if needed... anything over 12 and you'll be fine
There is FAR more that goes into to a Commander in the Navy making the decision on whether to do that or not.

There is FAR more that goes into to a Commander in the Navy making the decision on whether to do that or not.
That's why I said "if needed". Necessity drives the mission and its parameters. They also have the option for a low altitude flight if needed and can do whatever is needed to ensure success both for the objectives and the operators. I'm well aware it is more than if they dive they can fly, but sure, ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom