Diving with no O2 kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea. The manual compression would not require to have the chest dry - and count how many liveboards / LDS boat got a AED into their emergency equipements.

I am not saying this is useless and not worth the extra 1% chance left - when I asked a reseller of good AED he told me it will depend how is the boat (small, big) and how fast you put a victim under his first shock. Of course if you have a AED go ahead. This reseller was not a doctor but noticed that a diver cardiac arrest victim is not the same a cardiac arrest victim in Land.

Edit:
This is the units I was suggested to buy for a AED and underwater/swimmingpool use.
Under 2000$
- Powerheart G5
- ZOLL AED PLUS
and
- ZOLL AED 3

Last edited:
Getting someone out of a suit is a matter of seconds, really. You cut that thing open in no time.

This thread has strayed far into the territory of making diving difficult and expensive for a negligible and theoretical safety benefit.

I own and carry both O2 and an AED. The aging population returning to diving after getting into a position with more disposable income cardiovascular problems figure significantly in dive incidents. I have used both multiple times. I taught the use of both for 20 years till I retired. A cheaper option of course is to get a Bag Valve mast and learn how to use it. With that you can deliver 21% O2 without needing the expensive tank and gear.

Yes you can use the AED on a boat but it should be "dead in the water" (pardon the pun). The engine should be turned off during analyzing so the vibration doesn't interfere with the machine's ability to read the patient. The patient needs to be dried around the chest. The electricity will follow the path of least resistance that needs to be between the pads.

Drysuit just needs to be cut to expose enough chest to attach pads unless it has leaked. Wetsuit, I would cut to expose chest and dry it. I would be inclined to try to stuff a dry towel under the back between the neoprene and the back leaving the neoprene to insulate against any water on the boat deck.

I agree with others that have commented on the dangers of diving off an unattended boat or one that is under the control of a person without current qualifications. I would suggest that they at the very least need a refresher course.

A boat with someone in it (can at least call for help) is a nice start and an absolute minimum, but a boat with someone in it that knows how to operate said boat is what you really need. And as others have noted, there's a whole lot worth knowing about having divers in the water. I'd feel a lot better if the person on the boat had a bit of experience with the situation.

Extra hands are good too: what if one diver needs help? It would be great if someone could keep the distressed diver in sight at all times, preferably could help him stay afloat. Assume the other diver is still underwater and oblivious to the situation. If the only "free" man is also the skipper, you are already badly short of hands and eyes.

To the op,
How well do you know these guys? Are they reasonable, responsible adults? Are they going to do a check out dive somewhere controlled to make sure their gear works before heading out on the SS Minnow? :) If the answers are all positive, and you stick to the conservative plan, then sounds like fun. Have a ball. I wouldn't worry too much about the O2. It would be nice to have if you guys get serious and start diving a lot from the boat. The entire island of Bonaire makes a living off folks loading up trucks and heading off to the hinterlands to dive without an O2 tank in sight. All IMHO.
BTW, where you gonna dive? I get to FL occasionally. I've got gas money. :) :bounce::bounce::bounce:

We should be in the Pensacola area. I used to live there but that was 25 years ago so we'll be counting on my buddy's brother to show us around since he is currently stationed there.

If emergency equipment is the concern, consider Both oxygen and an AED (automated external defibrillator). Both may need to be used in several types of diving emergencies.

Oxygen is normally associated with decompression sickness, but may also be needed for drowning, air embolism and carbon monoxide poisoning (contaminated compressed air). If possible, if you carry oxygen, get some training on its use of diving emergencies. Here is a link to some training in the use of oxygen.

https://www.research.usf.edu/dric/diving/docs/oxygen-first-aid-scuba.pdf

The AED would be useful for heart problems.

If there is any doubt, or if the question comes into your mind, go for the O2. My thoughts above were perhaps an overview-reaction because of my own unique diving here on the Clackamas River, where I dive under paramedic lifeguards. I was remembering back to the beginning times of diving in the 1960s, where oxygen wasn't even an option and we simply enjoyed breathing underwater.

SeaRat

Thanks. Yes, I have AED and O2 training but it looks like we will not have this on the boat.

To the op,
How well do you know these guys? Are they reasonable, responsible adults? Are they going to do a check out dive somewhere controlled to make sure their gear works before heading out on the SS Minnow? :) If the answers are all positive, and you stick to the conservative plan, then sounds like fun. Have a ball. I wouldn't worry too much about the O2. It would be nice to have if you guys get serious and start diving a lot from the boat. The entire island of Bonaire makes a living off folks loading up trucks and heading off to the hinterlands to dive without an O2 tank in sight. All IMHO.
BTW, where you gonna dive? I get to FL occasionally. I've got gas money. :) :bounce::bounce::bounce:

I only know one of them. The other is his brother who lives in FL and owns the boat. They are both responsible adults but very inexperienced divers who have done some free diving. Just discussing the basics of diving with my buddy has given me cause for concern because he was certified in 1990 and really hasn't updated his knowledge or experience at all. I have already done a checkout dive with him at the lake but he will be renting gear.

A boat with someone in it (can at least call for help) is a nice start and an absolute minimum, but a boat with someone in it that knows how to operate said boat is what you really need. And as others have noted, there's a whole lot worth knowing about having divers in the water. I'd feel a lot better if the person on the boat had a bit of experience with the situation.

Extra hands are good too: what if one diver needs help? It would be great if someone could keep the distressed diver in sight at all times, preferably could help him stay afloat. Assume the other diver is still underwater and oblivious to the situation. If the only "free" man is also the skipper, you are already badly short of hands and eyes.

Well, I forgot to also mention that the dive plan at this time is to anchor the boat and go down as a 3-man group.

Back
Top Bottom