Diving without a BC, anyone do it...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zerja

New
Reaction score
Ahoy,

I dive with out a BC these days and love it. I have an old US divers tank holder. just a chunk of plasic and some straps. I love to feel unencombered, in warm water there is nothing like it. In the cold water you just need to be very aware of how your wet suit is going to behave.

Does anyone still use these kinds of gear, i also only need a very small amout of weight, im skinny. in warm water with out a suit, i only need 2 lbs of lead and i strap it to the tank.

Im a big proponent of minimalist diving, i use a single stage, regulator and have two regs and a gauge. i use a regular watch for most (non-multi depth) diving. it seems to me that people are WAY over geared these days.

I haven't yet but it's on my to-do list next summer when I can get away with minimal neoprene.

This is at 80' in the Bahamas :D

Used to own one of those hunks of plastic with straps, until the damn thing broke at 60 feet. Everything was still attached, but all over the place. Like my BP/W thanks. maybe in warm water, but in cold 2lb of weight would have me bobbing on the surface like a cork:D

I think my BP and wing is close enough for me .

What do you need to dive w/o a bc? I read an article somewhere about it being more streamlined, etc. I'm thinking about it but would it require more experience? Either no bc or one of the simpler ones like the Triple-L Aquarius.

Ya diving w/o a BC means that you rely on your lungs to control boyancy. You just need to be on the ball. If you want to go deep and wear a thicker suit you can station weights on a line as you go down and loose boyancy. I really want a backplate and wings. But i dont have the dollars.

I mostly dive with out a bc because it makes me feel like a fish. The straps are really small compared to an inflateable vest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom