Diving without a dive master or guide.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there may actually be two questions in the original post, or at least two answers in my mind. Perhaps this information can be gleaned from the prior responses, but let me try to put it concisely. The bulk of the responses seem to relate to the question of using a guide/dm when you are diving with a dive operation. You go out on a boat and they have a dm(s) and all of the support you would expect on the boat. So the first question I see is whether people go it alone/it is advisable to dive alone in those circumstances. I agree with most of the posts in that if a guide is not provided or required, my buddy and have never hired one and we actually prefer to go it alone. If you have a basic certification, this is about personal comfort and everyone in theory has the ability to do this.

The second questions is truly diving on your own, with no support other than what you bring. I also enjoy this and in principle, again, everyone with a basic certification can do this. On the other hand, without advanced training -- at least rescue diver in my mind -- you are not really even sufficiently aware of the ways you can get into trouble to understand how to prepare for them. We also enjoy this, but obviously you take a lot more direct resposibility to make sure you are properly equipped at the site to handle things that can go wrong. You don't have a first aid kit or emergency O2 and someone who knows how to use them unless you take care of it yourself. I can also tell you that we are much more conservative in the type of diving we do when we are not with an organized dive operation.

I hope this helps. I do agree with all of the comments about the benefits of guides in some circumstance, but I also like to set my own itinerary, seeing what I want to see and especially taking on the challenges that being truly self-sufficient demand when you are out on your own. I actually find that in cases where we dive with groups without a guide that the herd tends to follow the people who seem like the know where they are going. There is a whole vast ocean out there once you are off the dive boat and nothing is more annoying than people running into you when there is seemingly so much space around. So, by all means if you are comfortable with it and know you can do it safely, try going it alone (with your buddy) and leave the herd. It makes it a much more intimate experience.

Mine tells me, and it includes ascent + safety stop time, so like 10 minutes before, it warns me. Beeps like hell, you can't miss it.
Done through simulation, not UW.

Not sure what computer you have, but most will tell you how much no-deco time you have left, so no matter how conservatively you have set up your computer, you should never be going into deco accidentally.

If your computer won't tell you how much no-deco you have left, and only tells you when you are actually in deco, you should be using it as a bottom timer, and plan your dives with tables.

Heya Mark, I think it's always wise to play around and know the capabilities of your dive-computer. Probably those warning beeps before leaving NDL can be configured. But I guess you've played around since you've set the personnal settings to conservative. That's in itself also good to do when you are doing repeated dives, like you would on holiday.

I woul stress however against over-reliance on a computer. In the end deco-models are not scientific fact based on proof. They are just models, some old (tissue-models), some new (bubble models), which have been fine-tuned by alot of test-dives, and a large user-base (uptil 120 feet more or less). This is all very well and works quite well as long as you keep in the "operational limits" of the model of your computer. If you go beyond, well let's just say that your body could disagree with the model in your computer...

Some operational limits are well known by most divers:
- "Deco diving"
- Fast ascend
- Yo-yo dive profile

But one which is often forgotten is repeated dives... basically a typical 1 week liveaboard will clock you between 4-5 dives a day... you already noticed that your NDL goes down, it's trying to cope with your repetetive dives. However if you're doing so many dives in such a short time you're basically moving out of the scope of your computer... match this to personnal physical contra-indications (fagitue, dehydration, etc)... and things could go wrong. So thumbs up for setting your computer more conservative.

In the end if you are interested there is a very good book about decompression theory which puts into laymen terms alot of difficult concepts regarding decompression. (http://www.amazon.com/Deco-Divers-Mark-Powell/dp/1905492073/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328126026&sr=8-1)... you might be pleasantly surprised to learn that all your dives are in fact decompression dives.

Anyway... I'm sorry about the side-track. Back on topic :)
-

Back
Top Bottom