DIY Back Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paolov:
there is a thread devoted to BP/wings on the main board, check the bottom of the page for the SIMILAR THREADS. lets try to keep the topics here local. but for generality i would like to comment but....... ....

hinid ako maka tiis, eto na ....

the beauty of the BP/wings is that it allows a person to configure the rig to his/her personal suitability and function.

keep in mind the BP/Wings is used for its functionality in doing technical dives.

For those who use it for recreational activities, then the rigging changes wherein you may install quickreleases to the shoulder straps. otherwise, if you intend to use the BP/W in a technical setting in the future i strongly recommend NOT to install quick releases to your shoulder straps.

Imagine this, you normally use your BP/W for recreational activities on a single tank. then sometime in the near future you would do a technical dive. Had you installed that quick release i would discourage you from joining my group as you would be a potential problem.

imagine your rig to be lifting several tanks and if that quick release releases itself as plastics do, you would be in for trouble and i sure would not like to be assisting you as if it was a technical dive, each man to himself, each person should be self-sufficient , the buddies on that dive would be there for assistance but not for baby sitiing an i'll equipped ill trained, wrong rigging person.

but then if it's time to die, it's time to die ......

"Each Man to Himself" thats good buddy procedure.

yup, self reliance is the best training a diver can have.

to put your life in the hands/mercy of your buddy is IMHO irresponsible and to buddy up with a potential hazard is putting yourself in uncesseary risk.

Being self reliant makes you a better diver to yourself and to the community of diving.

that is why the first rule is SELF-RESCUE Ability. To rely on your training and self is being responsible diver.

Your life is your own responsibility not the DM, and certainly not your buddys'

solo divers are the most self reliant divers around. i do dive solo and so with other professionals that i know, even there in cebu. i won't mention their names but they are the most responsible divers (with training ofcourse) around, even course directors .

oh well people really fear the unknown ...... lack of knowledge feeds fear.

but then again promoting solo is not good for business now is it ? even if it means having more responsible and self reliant divers.

I am not promoting SOLO DIVING. IF you guys observe the threads there is a section entirely devoted to solo divers, that is not open to all to join, only for a few who understands the risks involve in doing so.

anyway this thread is about BACKPLATE not solo diving. Backplates were designed for FUNCTION over form.

so all those who like to think they are Tech and DIR go ahead and use quickreleases and go do the technical stuff them plates were meant to be. however if you like using backplate in recreational diving (like me) go ahead and install them quickreleases, anyway your buddy would rescue you .......

"It was not explained properly by the seller. "

then again, purchasing equipment then asking questions later isn't that smart.

but i applaud the majority of the PPD, they asks questions, they argue BEFORE making the purchase now that is what i call intelligent thinking, AND BEING RESPONSIBLE DIVERS .

probably having an X infront would be a cool thing, like X-men

DiveGolfSki:
I don't have a quick release on my harness since the only use for ease of removal. I'm old but flexible :D and can slip my arm under one of the shoulder straps as fast as a quick release.

yup, properly trained and skilled divers using the harness don't need a quickrelease, they do it with skill and minimal effort.

paolov:
yup, properly trained and skilled divers using the harness don't need a quickrelease, they do it with skill and minimal effort.

i agree, like all kinds of gear it is important and paramount to familiarize yourself with the proper use and function of your equipment

cebudiver:
You should dive alone then.

I have dived with Paolo and he sure makes a good buddy.:05:

I think his message is that mere reliance on a more experienced buddy or a DM can never compensate for insufficient training or equipment, especially on more advanced dives. By being well-trained and properly equipped, we become better able to assist each other. :D

Spoon:
i agree, like all kinds of gear it is important and paramount to familiarize yourself with the proper use and function of your equipment

amen to that!

btw, travel or trek wing hehehehe

let me just settle this once and for all, if you intend to purchase or have purchased gear that you do not have PRIOR experience with, it is your prerogative and sole responsibility to ask the vendors how to properly use it so as to avoid problems in the near future. that is common sense. if you do not ask questions then it is presumed you understand , the vendor is not psychic and does not know your prior history. thats pretty simple aint it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom