DIY Back Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Axua:
It just makes it easier to take off after the dive with the quick release buckle. A few friends modified their continuos webbing harness to accomodate the same quick release buckle on the left shoulder. Some of the techies will tell you that that plastic buckle is potential failure point, but how many quick release buckles have you seen break on BCs? I have seen BC's 10 years old with the materials already close to being ripped to pieces but no history of buckles breaking. But thats just my opinion :)

you will be surprised my friend bought his rig from philtech as well and his quick release buckle broke as we were doing our safety stops, thank god it was shallow if not he would have been in serious trouble. i firmly agree that all parts should be made of some form of metal since plastic may fail in the future. why chance it diba? anyway my same friend also had his plastic sta fail on him and his tank detached from his rig. after that he bought separate parts and swore to only use metal components.

lessons easily learned without getting hurt but could have been worse if he wsant trained to sope with such equipment failure scenarios.

Spoon:
i dont know about the wings but they are already making the bps. as for the springs they cost $80 here.

Spoon, check out the DIY site for these. I made my own for muuuuuch less. Works great with buckle type AND post type fins.

I also used bright orange as a wrap ... just to get you DIR types in a tizzzy.:D

Axua:
It just makes it easier to take off after the dive with the quick release buckle. A few friends modified their continuos webbing harness to accomodate the same quick release buckle on the left shoulder. Some of the techies will tell you that that plastic buckle is potential failure point, but how many quick release buckles have you seen break on BCs? I have seen BC's 10 years old with the materials already close to being ripped to pieces but no history of buckles breaking. But thats just my opinion :)

Discussions on quick release buckles aside, Cebudiver describes a harness that crosses over your chest ("comes over your left shoulder and into your rite hip, and over your right shoulder onto a quick release buckle and into your left hip.") in an X. I'm familiar with diverite's products but not this. Left and right shoulder straps don't cross ... there may be another 1 inch strap holding them together with a quick release buckle.

Somehow, I don't think this is the right set up because releasing the buckle still won't allow you to get out of the rig.

DiveGolfSki:
Discussions on quick release buckles aside, Cebudiver describes a harness that crosses over your chest ("comes over your left shoulder and into your rite hip, and over your right shoulder onto a quick release buckle and into your left hip.") in an X. I'm familiar with diverite's products but not this. Left and right shoulder straps don't cross ... there may be another 1 inch strap holding them together with a quick release buckle.

Somehow, I don't think this is the right set up because releasing the buckle still won't allow you to get out of the rig.

I think this is the setup Cebudiver is referring to:

http://www.philtech.net/kag/single-tank_rig.html

The harness actually crosses behind the shoulders, not over the chest. A buddy who dives with Philtech uses the setup, but I have not tried it myself.

Matthew:

The harness actually crosses behind the shoulders, not over the chest. A buddy who dives with Philtech uses the setup, but I have not tried it myself.

how much does this single tank kag-rig cost sans the reg set? (bp, harness + travelwing only)

jonix:
how much does this single tank kag-rig cost sans the reg set? (bp, harness + travelwing only)

Cebudiver tells me that it's $80 for just for the BP. You can buy the harness and the STA for extra but you can make your own harness for less (I think they charge at least $40) and rig it like so:

http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/kit/harness_2.htm

You may need to get an STA depending on your wing but I think than can be manufactured cheaper.

If anyone can make the backplate, this guy has made a really good one w/o the need for an STA and he calls it an H-plate.

http://www.huwporter.com/scuba/hplate.html

Matthew:

Thanks for that link. I don't understand why the harness has to cross over at all since it looks like a continous webbing. The way a harness is hooked up can be seen on this website http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/kit/harness_2.htm but the straps go through the back as shown the attached.

there is a thread devoted to BP/wings on the main board, check the bottom of the page for the SIMILAR THREADS. lets try to keep the topics here local. but for generality i would like to comment but....... ....

hinid ako maka tiis, eto na ....

the beauty of the BP/wings is that it allows a person to configure the rig to his/her personal suitability and function.

keep in mind the BP/Wings is used for its functionality in doing technical dives.

For those who use it for recreational activities, then the rigging changes wherein you may install quickreleases to the shoulder straps. otherwise, if you intend to use the BP/W in a technical setting in the future i strongly recommend NOT to install quick releases to your shoulder straps.

Imagine this, you normally use your BP/W for recreational activities on a single tank. then sometime in the near future you would do a technical dive. Had you installed that quick release i would discourage you from joining my group as you would be a potential problem.

imagine your rig to be lifting several tanks and if that quick release releases itself as plastics do, you would be in for trouble and i sure would not like to be assisting you as if it was a technical dive, each man to himself, each person should be self-sufficient , the buddies on that dive would be there for assistance but not for baby sitiing an i'll equipped ill trained, wrong rigging person.

but then if it's time to die, it's time to die ......

paolov:
imagine your rig to be lifting several tanks and if that quick release releases itself as plastics do, you would be in for trouble and i sure would not like to be assisting you as if it was a technical dive, each man to himself, each person should be self-sufficient , the buddies on that dive would be there for assistance but not for baby sitiing an i'll equipped ill trained, wrong rigging person.

but then if it's time to die, it's time to die ......

I don't have a quick release on my harness since the only use for ease of removal. I'm old but flexible :D and can slip my arm under one of the shoulder straps as fast as a quick release.

However, the philtech harness has a quick release on one side (the right shoulder ... I believe) so if the plastic does fail I think your rig wouldn't fall off and between the crotch strap and the left shoulder it will stay on. One would look ridicolous and increase task loading at depth but an experienced diver should be able to compensate ... or not.

As for "but then if it's time to die, it's time to die ...." Happy Halloween :pumpkin:

Back
Top Bottom