DIY Back Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonix:
amen to that!

btw, travel or trek wing hehehehe

on a venture wing, it's just like what spoon said.

however you cant join us in the double tank set up. so better get one venture and one trek wing :D

paolov:
on a venture wing, it's just like what spoon said.

however you cant join us in the double tank set up. so better get one venture and one trek wing :D

thats when it starts to get expensive:)

paolov:
solo divers are the most self reliant divers around. i do dive solo and so with other professionals that i know, even there in cebu. i won't mention their names but they are the most responsible divers (with training ofcourse) around, even course directors .

oh well people really fear the unknown ...... lack of knowledge feeds fear.

but then again promoting solo is not good for business now is it ? even if it means having more responsible and self reliant divers.

I am not promoting SOLO DIVING. IF you guys observe the threads there is a section entirely devoted to solo divers, that is not open to all to join, only for a few who understands the risks involve in doing so.

anyway this thread is about BACKPLATE not solo diving. Backplates were designed for FUNCTION over form.

so all those who like to think they are Tech and DIR go ahead and use quickreleases and go do the technical stuff them plates were meant to be. however if you like using backplate in recreational diving (like me) go ahead and install them quickreleases, anyway your buddy would rescue you .......

As regards the Solo site, it is open to all, you just have to register to join - easy enough. Although I am not a serious solo diver, I wished to learn more about the topic as I my well move in that direction soon.

I think I'm a reasonable buddy, but it's a regular occurrence for me that I get lumbered with either a bunch of OW divers or some 5-holiday-dives-a-year type over 10 years who thinks he's Jacques Cousteau - either way it's not often I get to dive in small well-trained groups. Result - solo diving.

Also, ever seen something worth hanging around for, but had to hurry to catch the group up as they follow a turbo charged DM? Wouldn't the freedom to hang around be good?

IMO the skills developed solo diving are actually a refinement of what you already practise, but with more caution and redundancy. After all, you're now on your own.

As I see it in safety terms it can be put this way (as once explained to me by a truly great diver...)

Best scenario - good buddy team

Second best scenario - good solo diver

Second worst scenario - bad buddy team

Worst scenario - bad solo diver

Sorry for the thread hijack, but when you feel you might be ready for it, solo might be the way to go on some of your dives - even if PADI gets upset...

Regards

Wow:11: a lot of discussion on a simple question. Thanks everyone for your input on where in the RP one can make your own BP. Like always, threads tend to morph into other discussions but that's the fun of PPD.

For a while there, I thought I'd after to steal a stop sign and have some corner auto shop cut and bang out the BP. :D

Maybe, I'll start a thread about DIY wing? Wonder if that's possible?

DiveGolfSki:
Wow:11: a lot of discussion on a simple question. Thanks everyone for your input on where in the RP one can make your own BP. Like always, threads tend to morph into other discussions but that's the fun of PPD.

For a while there, I thought I'd after to steal a stop sign and have some corner auto shop cut and bang out the BP. :D

Maybe, I'll start a thread about DIY wing? Wonder if that's possible?

its possible, but why bother unless your a cheapskate:)

Spoon:
its possible, but why bother unless your a cheapskate:)

Hey, hey, hey ... respect for elders please. Besides as a approach my retirement age ... I'm going to be on a fixed income soon ....

Who knows, Halcyon may want to outsource their manufacturing ... sewing a wing is pretty straight-forward.:D

DiveGolfSki:
Hey, hey, hey ... respect for elders please. Besides as a approach my retirement age ... I'm going to be on a fixed income soon ....

Who knows, Halcyon may want to outsource their manufacturing ... sewing a wing is pretty straight-forward.:D

oops sorry sir:) anyway its pretty easy to come up with a wing provided you had the necessary raw materials. whats really funny is that most of those raw mats like rubber corrugated hose, plastic for inflators and even some of the ballistic nylon comes from china. im not surprised if they are already subcontracted to china.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom