DIY backup light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wandering if anyone had done a backup light. Made out of delrin or something like that. I have access to a machine shop but I didn't know if someone had already done one and if they had any pointers

pcscuba once bubbled...
I was just wandering if anyone had done a backup light. Made out of delrin or something like that. I have access to a machine shop but I didn't know if someone had already done one and if they had any pointers

Copolymer Acetal (Delrin is a trade name for DuPonts brand of Acetal) is the material of choice.

Do you have access to any CAD/CAM software?

If you do, I can e-mail you a 3D solid.

Scott

Hello

Building a flashlight is an act of art not putting some pieces together. This is one serious piece of life support equipment. If you know how much time, money and effort goes into making a flashlight then you will be surprised. It is cheaper, safer and more realistic to just buy one. If you plan a dive with the home made flashlight, and you have a failure, problem or other issue what could be a minor inconvenience could become a fatality. Just buy one that suits your type of diving or needs. For shallow rec stuff a UK or Princeton Tec should do just fine. For tech diving there is no substitute for the Halcyon.

jonnythan once bubbled...
Hello

Building a flashlight is an act of art not putting some pieces together. This is one serious piece of life support equipment. If you know how much time, money and effort goes into making a flashlight then you will be surprised. It is cheaper, safer and more realistic to just buy one. If you plan a dive with the home made flashlight, and you have a failure, problem or other issue what could be a minor inconvenience could become a fatality. Just buy one that suits your type of diving or needs. For shallow rec stuff a UK or Princeton Tec should do just fine. For tech diving there is no substitute for the Halcyon.

If he is a machinist, putting a back-up light together is a snooze. It takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to make one on manual machines.

And there are better lights available than the Halcyon or EE Scout:

http://www.oxycheq.com/LJ2Light.html

Scott

jonnythan once bubbled...
Hello

Holy cow its DIR TEC DIVER's clone. You have been busted buddy. Put your hands where i can see them and slowly back away from the halcyon goods. Your gonna be going away for a long time :mean:

Nobody gets a joke these days!! :eek:ut:

DNAXdiver once bubbled...
scott you wouldn't happen to know who actually makes the lite oxycheck sells??

I make a few onesy and twosey's, but the production units are made by a shop near Patrick in LA

Patrick assembles the contacts strips and springs himself.

Scott

scottk once bubbled...

Do you have access to any CAD/CAM software?

If you do, I can e-mail you a 3D solid.

Scott

Can I take you up on that offer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom