DIY "cinch" Quick Adjust DIR Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That UTD idea is pretty cool! I bought my first BP/W about 7-yrs ago. I set it up and realized there was no way I was going to use it without an adjustment feature. I don't think anyone was selling an adjustable BP/W at that time.

Before the thing ever got wet, I just configured a couple of metal loops into the plate. My son is still using the same rigging now. I also added my own elastic crotch strap with an adjustable fastex clip, which I think is still the best crotch strap rigging I have seen for normal sport diving.

The UTD idea with a fixed section of straps for the waist D-ring and pockets is very cool. I may have to make something like that myself. Right now I just have plastic fastex clips at the shoulder (that could break).

The UTD video is still somewhat amateurish. It took me a long while to figure out what they were trying to show, They should have used pink or white webbing for the main harness for the demo video and pictures, so you could more readily see what they were doing..

AG, the guy in the video I think is one of the DIR pioneers and an an exceptional diver. Not sure but I think he broke away from GUE years ago (don't know why) .

Back on topic, do you need metal loops or some kind of cinch system to tighten/loosen the harness? Can't you just thread the harness over one (instead of two) of the backplate slots?

If you have problem entering in to the harness is much better to have at one side ( normally left which is less ''under attack'' ) such buckle for adjustable harness, s-s | DTD

element but not in the way as in the picture (as interrupted tape ) but with a continuous belt with loop under left D ring.

In that way you get some extra space for entering but without spoiling whole concept of noninterrupted harness.

yes, made my own "UTD Style" with parts from Piranha Dive for pennies of what they (production) charge, and some better mods to include features I wanted too. Works fairly well as adjustable rigs go. I need it due to shoulder mobility issues.

webbing, d-rings, large and small slotted sliders........

I will admit that the proprietary DSS Glide Harness Adapter is the ultimate. I wonder, if tapping/drilling a non-dss plate to hold the GHA would also work. Due to needing X-tall plates, all mine are DSS.....

The DSS version has a couple of problems. As you noted, it is designed specifically for DSS plates and fits into the the special notch they have. The other problem is if you want one on both sides of your plate. Tobin will only sell you one because it is not designed to be adjustable on both sides.

I have the AGIR version and they are great. Not too expensive, but the overseas shipping is a lot. The UTD system looks quite good. You should be able to reproduce it for just a few bucks with readily available parts and some heavy sewing. I think I will try that for one of my harnesses.

yes, made my own "UTD Style" with parts from Piranha Dive for pennies of what they (production) charge, and some better mods to include features I wanted too.
Pictures?

I have several UTD quick adjusts on my rental BCDs. I find just the one side works well instead of doing both. What I did before those was this; you can cut the shoulder harnesses and add some webbing and some tri-glides near the back plate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'm wondering if I can just thread the webbing in the bottom portion (waist area) over only one of the diagonal slot on the backplate instead of threading the webbing through the two slots. This, I assume, will allow the webbing to slide easily and permit me to loosen or tighten the harness as if I had a cinch. Then install a triglide as a stopper to prevent over-loosening of the waist portion of the harness.

Any thoughts if this will work?
Agree, this seems to be a simple and good way of sorting this, right ? Or ??
(I use an elite comfort harness at the moment.....)
But thinking of running a one piece webbing soon!

The DSS version has a couple of problems. As you noted, it is designed specifically for DSS plates and fits into the the special notch they have. The other problem is if you want one on both sides of your plate. Tobin will only sell you one because it is not designed to be adjustable on both sides.

I have the AGIR version and they are great. Not too expensive, but the overseas shipping is a lot. The UTD system looks quite good. You should be able to reproduce it for just a few bucks with readily available parts and some heavy sewing. I think I will try that for one of my harnesses.

The UTD system looks like a 8 inch webbing (on each side) with a Rectangular SS -ring on one end and the other end (also with a rectangular SS ring) is attached to the backplate diagonal slot. The shoulder webbing goes the SS ring on the backplate then through the other end. I'm not certain about this design since I can only see pictures of it.

Instead of sewing the SS rings on each end, why not just use a triglide to secure them at the ends of the cinch webbings. That way no sewing needed. I don't have my gear so I'm just conceptualizing the DIY design of a cinch.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom