DIY Regulator Maintenance Discussion: MARES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes they do. If you want to tell me the part # that you are looking at I can PM you the same type of info that I have in this thread.

psst...Aqualung Titan is going to be my next treatment

:bounce: :bounce2: That is good to hear, thanks!

I know the Aqualung poppet was a favorite for a long time because the earlier Mares poppets had longevity issues until the TriMaterial poppet was indroduced (in 2006? 2007? Something like that).

I'm all set right now on Mares kits for the few regs that are approaching "rebuild time", and I'm putting out a "feeler" to another possible Mares parts source for diaphragms and HP poppets.

I now regret having thrown out a couple possibly-good-1-use HP poppets from the last rebuilds I did.... In hindsight the slight "creep" and slightly too-high IP lockup may not have been caused by the HP poppets at all (the seating surface on these poppets appeared to be 100% perfect, no marks or seating groove). Rebuilding solved the problem, but I wonder if the poppet was the culprit now.

What I now wonder if it was just the lube losing some of its properties since the regs had probably sat in their boxes for a few years before I bought them (they were new-in-box MR-22T's, part of an online closeout gear package).... I wonder if just a fresh re-lube, especially of the balance chamber o-ring, might have solved the problem...

I wonder if a little increased friction as the poppet stem moves in that o-ring could "slow" down the movement of the poppet enough to cause the IP to 5-10psi :idk:

Best wishes.

I use (2) MR12 1st stages with CWD kits paired to Halcyon Halo adj 2nds as main regs, (4) MR12/Axis stage regs, and (4) R2/Axis deco/stage regs. I also maintain (2) MR12 sets for teaching recreational SCUBA. The old MR12 is still a very capable design with easily sourced parts available all around the world. I've been using and rebuilding MR12 regs for nearly a decade now and very much enjoy their simplicity and robust function. Very informative thread!

Thanks,
Trey

Sorry I haven't finished this thread info yet. Been busy. FYI...for those interested I did meet up with Herman as discussed earlier in this thread and the tool that he makes for assembling 1st stages works well for the Mares MR12. I don't know what he calls it, but I call it the "Hermanator" The V16 doesn't really need it as the filter really is not under any pressure when assembled.

I still have to add the AXIS information that I have

I will also be adding information for the PROTON as well.

I do not have any other MARES types so I will be moving on to AQUALUNG after that.

Thanks for the thread. Anything done to demystify maintenance is a good thing. I do not have Mares regulators but would like to find a source for the sintered conical filters to fit Oceanic and Scubapros as well.

Me too, here's a drawing (not to scale). So far, I haven't seen anything that comes close in the Trident catalog. But then, I've successfully cleaned and re-used a few after a long, long bath in the ultrasonic.

I look forward to the AL part: I've got a Supra/Cousteau/SEA and a Titan that've been sitting in a closet for many years. Looks like they could use some oil change.

Attachments

• Air filter & Shim.jpg
    Air filter & Shim.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 812
Sorry I haven't finished this thread info yet. Been busy. FYI...for those interested I did meet up with Herman as discussed earlier in this thread and the tool that he makes for assembling 1st stages works well for the Mares MR12. I don't know what he calls it, but I call it the "Hermanator" The V16 doesn't really need it as the filter really is not under any pressure when assembled.

I still have to add the AXIS information that I have

I will also be adding information for the PROTON as well.

I do not have any other MARES types so I will be moving on to AQUALUNG after that.

Thanks again for all of your work on this, Chris.

My "usual sources" for Mares parts are sadly drying up, so your effort to identify "generic" substitutes is really appreciated.

I surprised to say that I had an easier time obtaining Titan rebuild kits (which as you confirmed do contain the diaphragm and HP poppet) than Mares kits... and at a lower price than the Mares kit.

Thanks again, and Best Wishes.

Zung, How thick is that shim and what is it made out of?

~Chris

The official answer is "approximately .012" thick" and "hard resilient plastic", from the "Technical Service Reference & Repair Guide".
Once I ordered some from an LDS, and the invoice said: "Teflon washer", FWIW.
superstar reported his DIY shims here.

Last edited:
AXIS:
axis.jpg

The OEM rebuild kit is identified as MARES part # 46200296 "Maintenance Kit" and contains the following items.

47157984 "Mouthpiece Clamp"
46184006 "Exhaust Valve"
46184062 "Poppet Seat"
46185051 "Locknut, demand Lever"
46110106 "O-Ring" 1EA
46110205 "O-Ring" 2EA
46110211 "O-Ring" 1EA
46110215 "O-Ring" 1EA
46110225 "O-Ring" 1EA

47157984 "Mouthpiece Clamp"
This is your basic zip tie. If you cannot source this yourself then step away from your regulator and call your local SCUBA shop to see when their tech can service your reg for you.

46184006 "Exhaust Valve"
Typical silicone exhaust valve. I have not had to replace one of these yet. No matter how nasty they look they always come out of the ultrasonic looking and feeling brand new. If you had to buy a replacement though it looks like the Trident Part # RP34 is a fit with a 33mm diameter and nearly identical structure.

46184062 "Poppet Seat"
This is the classic and common LP seat. It is "awapable" as a DIY Item with a 9/32" punch from McMaster Carr as Part #3424A22 and is made from 1/16" EPDM sheet available from McMaster Carr as Part # 8985K225. You could also use the adhesive back version of the same thing if you wanted to, I have seen them come in the OEM kits both ways. Follow this link to see some discussion about it. Generic LP seats - Where to buy?

46185051 "Locknut, demand Lever"
This is a simple M3 Nylock SS nut. It is available from McMaster Carr as part # 94205A220.

The remaining items are O-Rings, all VITON. Sized as follows...

not used on the AXIS reg itself but as a hose end connector is the first in the list
46110106 "O-Ring" 1EA is a British Standard Extended Series -610 available from seal jet, see link above

46110205 "O-Ring" 2EA is an AS568A -010 you should only need one of these in the reg, the other is a hose end.
46110211 "O-Ring" 1EA is an AS568A -014
46110215 "O-Ring" 1EA is an AS568A -013
46110225 "O-Ring" 2EA is an AS568A -017

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom