DM for recreational diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I've always been a little uncomfortable with the PADI video that goes along the lines of "After Rescue, your next step is Divemaster"....

Yes, you will learn some stuff on teh DM course - but how much it is appliciable to becoming a better, more knowledgeable diver is questionable. What DM teaches is a very limited use set of skills. Diving skills to "demonstration quality" is a different standard than would be of use to a diver themselves. Mask remove and replacement, for example, to demonstration quality is slow, deliberate, controlled and with an emphasis on the critical attributes that enable a student diver to observe and learn. This is a far cry from what would be useful to most divers, which would actually being able to remove and replace their mask underwater whilst not losing control of their position in the water column.

Unless you are wanting to work as a DM, or move on into instructing, I genuinely beleive that there is very little point in doing a DM class. Much better options exist - GUE-F has been mentioned, but with the right instructor a combination of a buoyancy class, nitrox and deep will give the dive planning skills, dive skills and knowledge that will make you a better diver. With the wrong instructor, of course, you'd be better off just taking that money and burning it in the street.

Peter - i definitely misunderstood. i agree how to demonstrate a skill is entirely a different lesson than how to do a skill. (although skill drills and practical application diving are kind of 2 different things as well) DM candidates typically already know how to do a skill - and how to do it lightning fast. They just might not do it clearly enough for an ow student whos trying to figure out 'how am I going to my mask underwater' if its not demonstrated on slow mo pace looking like teaching a 5 year old how to tie shoe laces.
So, skill work is completely different at this level. More like constant critique than an actual formal lesson. Usually, my DM candidates become more like interns or mentees than typical students. So there is a lot of time to hone whatever's needed. But there's a certain level of aptitude expected - that's a given. If they were a just a bad diver, I'd suggest more training before continuing on at that level. They need to be qualified for a simple standard. I always ask: Would I allow this person to divemaster/guide a loved one? That's the NAUI in me.

Sirena -- I think you misunderstood what TSandM wrote -- she wrote Your response seems to indicate that you believe "demonstration skills" has some direct relation to "diving skills" and I happen to believe they are two very different things (at least in the PADI world in which I'm living).

No, in MY DM class, there was no real attempt to improve the overall diving skill(s) of the class members -- no work on better buoyancy control, no work on trim, no work on more efficient kicks, etc. There was work on teaching the "20 demonstration quality skills" but that has nothing to do with one's diving skills. BTW, in my particular class, IF there was anything that was "deficient" in the class (but within standards!), it was a lack of work on the demonstration skills -- but my DM class was a "little strange" in that all the students, except me, were PSD people (who had zero interest in working with students OR divers).

Two things that make me very uncomfortable:

The PADI brochure that outlines how to go from OW to Instructor in 6 months. I used to have to display it at an old job.
month 1- OW.
month 2 - AOW.
month 3 - Rescue.
month 4 - DM.
month 5 - IDC.
month 6 - IE.
I don't think that's the path for success, but I feel it makes a mockery out of those of us who have actually trained in this sport for years, the dollars, the gear, the travel, the instructors.

Second - the Go Pro contest for most certifications in a year. Last year, the winner got 27 certs like OW through MSDT or something with a bunch of specialties. I mean, good for him, great job, but is this what we're awarding now?? Gosh, instant gratification. now, now, now.

Personally, I've always been a little uncomfortable with the PADI video that goes along the lines of "After Rescue, your next step is Divemaster"....

Yes, you will learn some stuff on teh DM course - but how much it is appliciable to becoming a better, more knowledgeable diver is questionable. What DM teaches is a very limited use set of skills. Diving skills to "demonstration quality" is a different standard than would be of use to a diver themselves. Mask remove and replacement, for example, to demonstration quality is slow, deliberate, controlled and with an emphasis on the critical attributes that enable a student diver to observe and learn. This is a far cry from what would be useful to most divers, which would actually being able to remove and replace their mask underwater whilst not losing control of their position in the water column.

Unless you are wanting to work as a DM, or move on into instructing, I genuinely beleive that there is very little point in doing a DM class. Much better options exist - GUE-F has been mentioned, but with the right instructor a combination of a buoyancy class, nitrox and deep will give the dive planning skills, dive skills and knowledge that will make you a better diver. With the wrong instructor, of course, you'd be better off just taking that money and burning it in the street.

Sirena -- Thanks. My guess is that we probably have very similar attitudes towards training and "professionalism."

I just finished watching (sort of) the PADI OW and Adventure Diving videos (three hours of looking at the screen but with the sound OFF). I found it interesting that the divers all looked good until they stopped! Especially if the diver attempted to do something while stopped, I was amazed at the "sloppiness" of many. They just didn't make it look easy.

The difference between the in water skill level shown by these "model divers" and the divers on say the 5th DX "Essentials of DIR" video is striking -- yet both are aimed at "recreational diving." It may be that the OW/AOW model divers are just as skilled, but they didn't show it -- and that's just sad IMHO.

Education in invaluable.

I wish you the best of luck and believe you are making a great decision to further your knowledge and training. Please don't forget to continue your skill practice at least every other dive. Is knowledge unused really knowledge?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom