DM/IDC internship in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm definitely considering a job as a huge bonus, even as a miracle.
I kinda want to just take 6m/1yr off and just dive around while getting slowly to DM or even Instructor who knows...
Now if in the process i can get some small diving jobs then perfect... but it won't be a problem if i don't...

Thanks for the help

You probably will be able to find a few jobs... but chances are they won,t pay for rent/ food while there...:depressed: Whatever, i think you have the right mindset to have a great time...:coffee:

I'm definitely considering a job as a huge bonus, even as a miracle.
I kinda want to just take 6m/1yr off and just dive around while getting slowly to DM or even Instructor who knows...
Now if in the process i can get some small diving jobs then perfect... but it won't be a problem if i don't...

Thanks for the help

I .

One thing I would recommend if you are in somewhere like PG is doing a course like GUE Fundamentals before starting your DM course - this will help a lot and make you a much better diver before you pick-up any bad habits!

Karl
Are you sure?
I certainly do not clip all the deco bottles on my left and holding the light with my left hand. I dive with twim bladder with bungy and a pair of Mares fins. And I do not wear dry suit in the middle of summer in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Singapore etc etc.
It is the diver NOT the course.

Centrals.... do you know what the Fundies course is? That there are two variants...one specifically for recreational/single tank diving? :)

I've noticed that there can be a lot of speculative assumption about DIR/GUE from divers who have no experience in it. Mostly because of 'internet education'. I've not taken the Fundies course myself, but I know a lot of divers who have. Without exception, their base skills are well above average...and their approach/mindset to diving is commendable. Most of those people are in no way 'DIR diehards' or brainwashed into thinking there is only one way to do things.

At the very least, spending a few dives with a high calibre instructor, dedicated to developing your core diving skills is an excellent idea. Using videocam to record and analyise yourself underwater...having that expert critique.... that's awesome. Learning new viewpoints on equipment, procedures and drills - that differ from what 99% learn on their OW courses, with the mainstream agencies... that's awesome too.

GUE and UTD instructors aren't the only people in the world who approach diving in this manner.... but seeking simular instruction from mainstream agency instructors is very hit-and-miss - as the instructional quality and experience of rec instructors is so variable.

All said, a Fundies course is an excellent supplement for any diver. For a potential professional dive guide (DM), it is invaluable.

The Philippines is lucky to have a generally strong GUE community...and the sheer numbers of Manila based divers who utilise BP&W..and/or have taken Fundies is impressive.

I've noticed that there can be a lot of speculative assumption about DIR/GUE from divers who have no experience in it. Mostly because of 'internet education'.

Actually, I say it's more probably because of several of their members attitudes on webforums like this...:shakehead: Speaking for myself, I can honnestly say several of them on this forum have turned me off of it...:no:

Actually, I say it's more probably because of several of their members attitudes on webforums like this...:shakehead: Speaking for myself, I can honnestly say several of them on this forum have turned me off of it...:no:
Attended a talk by a GUE diver(ML) many yrs ago at Tek Asia.
Sharing a tek liveboard twice with them.
Read many articles written by them.
Have a look at the fundamental manual.
GUE divers only dive with GUE divers!!! Lets keep it this way.

Finally, if Philippines is blessed with so many GUE divers, how come there isn't a GUE instructor after Martin Lorenzo?

Last edited:
The DIR stance is 99% attitude rather than course content....

My own-time diving is usually all tech and cave which is DIR central territory, but I can't say I follow all that's there in the DIR manual - my system is to do what feels right and works right for me - if you take the GUE fundies course with that attitude I can't see how it won't help make people better divers - that's my thought anyway :)

Almost all recreational divers crossing over to tech are impressed by aspects such as trim and propulsion techniques, however, those never venturing into tech usually don't see this - the GUE fundies course fills the existing gap very, very well...

Last edited:
Dir? Gue? Wtf? Lol! Brb!

So if anyone is really interested in the DIR/GUE issue they can read the following:

http://www.gue.com/files/Standards_and_Procedures/GUE_Standards_Version_51.pdf

Or you can just go to the sub forum on SCUBA Board found here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir-practitioners-zone

The Motto for that subforum is DIR Practitioners Zone A sanctuary for the DIR faithful, non-DIR discussions will not be tolerated.

I find the DIR folks a little peculiar...... :)

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a couple good instructors on Boracay. (there are more than a couple but I only KNOW a few) Try Fisheye Divers. Or Victory Divers. They can get you through your DM course. The IDCs were periodic and were done through Calypso Divers with George Wegmann as the CD.
Spend a year or more there and do it slowly. Dive every day. I did that in 99 and it was one of the most fun years of my life.

Back
Top Bottom