DM protecting weight belts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me, how I wear my weights is not trivial. If I had wanted to wear them on a belt, I wouldn't have bought a weight integrated BC in the first place.
Is the weight belt the personal property of the DM, or does it belong to the dive op? I'd bet the policy was that of one DM and not the owner. The owner may not even be aware of it.
And as long as the rental equipment (whatever it is) is returned in the same condition as it was received, why should they care?
Personally, I've never run into this problem, and am not real worried about it.

One Cayman trip, I simply rented weights for the whole week of my trip from one shop. Then dove with several different operations on the island.

It only cost a few dolars (much cheaper than overweight baggage fees) and I never had to "dig" in the weight bin on a given boat to find the right sizes for my BC or disassemble a weightbelt.

Just droped off the weights and picked up the deposit accross the street from my hotel at the end of the week. Used the deposit for the cab fair from the airport to home so it's not like I would have spent it elsewhere on the island anyway... (I'm less than 15 minutes from the airport so it's cheaper than paying for airport parking).

I find weight belts to be uncomfortable and a huge distraction when I dive. They always slide down and it seems like I spend half my dive adjusting them.

You'd also hear "It's my boat.. GET OFF". or..
It's MY dive, Buh bye...
or...

"Not with MY group, mister..."

Don't fly with weights if you don't want to.... Who cares? If your dive op has RULES about equipment issued, obey those rules.. Easy stuff!

If you contract a service that provides you with equipment, you WILL use them as directed or you will be tossed.

Hey, you like WI, great! Use WI. Who cares...

Stick with your normal set up...

If you don't accept that you are not borrowing anything, you are deleriously misinformed.. You certainly don't OWN what's been issued you. Duhhhh

Yup! It's your money! Most certainly, and its your attitude, if you can't abide a DM's rules, then keep your money, bite your tongue and go elsewhere.

You, you are "presumably the customer", but, I'm ever so pleased that you are not MY customer.

"Jumped up" DM? Dude, you crack me up. You're an organ doner waiting for an accident!

Grajan once bubbled...
I travel to dive.
I cannot fly with weights (it already takes some fast talking...).
I contract a service that includes the provision of weights.
I use WI (with back pockets) to get the correct trim.
I am familiar and therefore safer with my normal setup.
I WILL NOT dive with an abnormal configuration to suit some jumped up DM.
I do not accept that I am 'borrowing' anything (a ridiculous premise).
It is my money - I AM the customer.

Glad I saw this thread - another question to ask before selecting a dive service.

So, don't worry about it...

sumguy once bubbled...
To me, how I wear my weights is not trivial. If I had wanted to wear them on a belt, I wouldn't have bought a weight integrated BC in the first place.
Is the weight belt the personal property of the DM, or does it belong to the dive op? I'd bet the policy was that of one DM and not the owner. The owner may not even be aware of it.
And as long as the rental equipment (whatever it is) is returned in the same condition as it was received, why should they care?
Personally, I've never run into this problem, and am not real worried about it.

yes! Yes! YES! (Gawd, I sound like that Meg Ryan scene)

There is no issue.. The FEW people with "Daddy Warbucks" mentality think because they pay for the USE of something, it entitles them to do what they want with it, how they want with it, regardless of established rules of the given DM or boat for that matter.

I don't know what the problem is, I too have not been on a boat where I did NOT bring my own weights.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
You guys are simply blowing something small way out of proportion...

Problem: - you are using rented equipment...you agree to use the equipment according to all guidelines set forth by the owner/issuer. For example...when you rent a charter do you get to drive the boat?

Soluntion: - Bring your own weights and other equipment next time...problem solved

To be honest, I have never gone on a dive charter or to a dive site without my weight belt (I've hopped in without it on...but never left it at home...yet...)

I am failing to see the issue...

awap once bubbled...
No tip and no repeat business. They must have forgotten that you were a CUSTOMER.

I never realised that weights could be such a heated subject.:bicker:

Yes GQ, you are right, their boat their rules.

But I think AWAP has a more relevant point. Just like many other things in diving, we choose certain things (instructors, gear, operators, dive agencies, etc) based on our research and preferences.

If we do not like something, we select a different option. This does not mean doing unsafe things because we feel like it, but it does mean that if we don't like the way an op does business, we don't have to use it. (I have yet to go anywhere that didn't have multiple shops competing for business)

As far as tipping. I believe in tipping for good service, not just because it is expected. This means that if I enjoyed myself and had a good experience due in part to the dive teams efforts then I will tip generously. If on the other hand, I feel that the experience was worsened by this same team...no tip. And of course there is everything in between. So far I consider myself lucky (with a little research) in that I have yet to walk away from a dive trip without tipping the crew.

Can't we all just get along?
:kissy:
Jeff

prolonging this 'debate' but here goes:

I do not own the weights but I'm not 'borrowing' them either. I'm renting them. So I guess it all comes down to what is 'reasonable use'.

If I rent an auto I do not mind it being restricted to on-road use but I might be less happy if I was told I could not use it on the freeways in case I thrashed it. No problem if I know in advance, I can always rent from somewhere else, but a big problem if I show up expecting normal standards to apply. To my mind not allowing rented weights to be used in WI is 'unreasonable restrictions'.

As for the QUOTE: 'You're an organ doner waiting for an accident!'

I want to stick with my own gear in its standard configuration - that makes me dangerous??? cummon...:goofy:......

Expecting a diver to reconfigure their gear (thus creating a potentially hazardous situation) just to prevent the possible loss of a bit of lead is completely irresponsible behavior.

I started working as a DM over twenty years ago. Now (in part because of this kind of nonsense) I make every effort to avoid being 'herded' by other DM's. Renting weights by the week is the way to go. It does not cost much and prevents silly situations occuring.

There ya go! Now you're in the spirit of the context!

You're right, the organ donor comment was very off color and none too cool of me to say.

No, wanting to stick with your config does not make you dangerous. I was annoyed at what appeared to be a cavilier attitude to the "rules" or directives of a DM, that is where that came from.

My position does not assert that a diver change thier config, my position is simply this, divers in a group led by a DM or on a boat under the direction of a DM do so under that operations or DM's rules. Be they what a diver feels to be unreasonable. The original post was that a diver here was miffed that he was not permitted to strip down the weight belt that was issued to him by an operation and that a "rule" against such an action was enforced by a DM. While it seems trivial, and by and large, it is, my point is, in life, there are rules every where we go. Even as customers, the businesses we patronize have rules, when it comes to equipment, a business "issuing", "loaning" "renting" however "Diver X" wishes to call it, is subject to the terms of use by the operation.

Grajan once bubbled...
prolonging this 'debate' but here goes:

I do not own the weights but I'm not 'borrowing' them either. I'm renting them. So I guess it all comes down to what is 'reasonable use'.

If I rent an auto I do not mind it being restricted to on-road use but I might be less happy if I was told I could not use it on the freeways in case I thrashed it. No problem if I know in advance, I can always rent from somewhere else, but a big problem if I show up expecting normal standards to apply. To my mind not allowing rented weights to be used in WI is 'unreasonable restrictions'.

As for the QUOTE: 'You're an organ doner waiting for an accident!'

I want to stick with my own gear in its standard configuration - that makes me dangerous??? cummon...:goofy:......

Expecting a diver to reconfigure their gear (thus creating a potentially hazardous situation) just to prevent the possible loss of a bit of lead is completely irresponsible behavior.

I started working as a DM over twenty years ago. Now (in part because of this kind of nonsense) I make every effort to avoid being 'herded' by other DM's. Renting weights by the week is the way to go. It does not cost much and prevents silly situations occuring.

I want to state this..

I've never expected a tip for my services, I've always been paid for my services up front, be it when I am Instructing or DMing. I am always pleasantly surprised and grateful when it does happen.

diving needs to be a VERY disciplined activity BUT the rules have to be reasonable as well.

What got me fired up is that, if I got on a dive boat expecting to use weights in a way I considered reasonable (WI) and was not allowed to I would be obliged to call the dive, enjoy the sunshine and ask for my money back when I got back to the beach.

I would judge the unplanned change in gear configuration to be an unacceptable hazard.

I guess that is why I either go to Bonaire or rent my own boat whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom