DM ? what's the role of a Dive master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To unnecessarily drive up consumer costs and provide a security blanket for poor divers.

Being a single diver, I seek out dive boats that have DM in the water because they tend to have other single divers to buddy up with at the same cost of boats with out DM in the water, why should I pay $75 for the dive, $75 for a buddy. And some even give you a discount if you don't use the DM and want to go off on you own.

I've never understood why people who just got certified want to go there when there are so many more appropriate places for new divers to get some bottom time before taking on diving conditions that are going to require them to place themselves in the hands of someone else for their safety.

I've traveled and worked in a few corners of the world where the diving has been fantastic. However it seems that with fishing and ocean-degradation out of control around the world, only the most extreme dive sites are living up to the expectations of today's divers. They want sharks, turtles, mola mola, mantas, whales etc.

Take Sharm el Sheikh as an example. The Straits of Tiran and the Ras Mohamed Peninsular are the most incredible geographic locations for diving and the currents and steep dropoffs make it so. When I worked there I was told wistfully that diving in these locations used to be 'by invitation only', as the local shoreline offered enough fish and coral to satisfy the 'normal' diver who wanted to see a few fish, a turtle, a couple of sharks and maybe a manta. Nowadays the gardens are pretty much trashed except for a couple of beauties like Ras Nasrani (site of the shark attacks a couple of years back) and Ras Umm Sid.

The only places left to go are Tiran and Ras Mohamed where (because of the special conditions) there is still some excellent diving which today's divers expect to see on any given dive.

To dive these far-off places required a fair bit of planning and sometimes luck. Camping in the desert, camels, that sort of thing. Today there are planes and fast boats capable of carrying 30+ people that will see you from your arm-chair in London to 40m at Jackson Outside (Tiran) watching schooling hammerheads in a matter of hours.

This is going a little off topic so let me bring it back by saying that the customers' demands and expectations often outweigh their diving capabilities. They aren't taking the necessary time and training to prepare for the big dives. It takes more than basic skill to dive some of the 'big name' dive sites which are well known around the world. The likes of Palau's Blue Corner or Sipidan where you need current (and plenty of it) to make the dive happen. This is also true here in the Maldives for pelagics like sharks and eagle rays on the outside channel dives. Without a proper current.... well, it is still nice diving but it lacks the OMG factor which people are after. The (locally experienced) DM is needed in these places to avoid a host of problems which can otherwise end up in tragedy. What gets me mad sometimes is that if the DM decides to abort dives early due to deteriorating conditions, or are forced to bring divers up from dangerous depths, it brings complaints rather than thanks.

Again, I agree that divers who can't demonstrate that they are competent to dive after certification shouldn't be able to dive without either running through a scuba tune-up or re-taking the entire course. But there are no police to enforce this. If you crash your car because you are an incompetent driver, you have your license either revoked or suspended. This could never happen in the scuba industry as there wouldn't be an industry left after 3 months.

I did it for years on a few boats. A DM's job is to attempt to ensure that everyone has a safe and fun dive. The means to bring that about vary as much as the conditions and the customers on the boat. There is no protocol that will be applicable to all conditions.

I've been a dive master for some world famous divers and have even intervened to check their equipment and to give them necessary safety reminders.

It takes hundreds of days of trips to develop the skills to be able to read people and their gear and to be able to provide them useful and welcome assistance in accomplishing everyone's goals: (to have fun and be safe). It is also very beneficial if you have done a particular dive a few hundred times and can let people know exactly what to expect. A good diver who is unfamiliar with the dive, may benefit greatly from a 2 minute briefing from a knowledgeable DM.

It is a tough job. A smart customer will take some time to help convey what kind of role the DM might play to make them happy. If you've been on the trip with the DM 50 times you don't need to say much. If you are brand new and nervous, you should let the DM know. If the DM is going to be an underwater guide, let them know if there is anything special that you would like to see or do. If you need a little help with this or that, it is better to ask than to have to cry for help later.

A bad DM is a PIA, but a good one will be transparent to the people who don’t need any assistance and can be very helpful to the people who do.

Outside of coursework, I refer to a DM as Dive Guides. Basically that is all they are.
I am not as experience with SCUBA as I would like, but the principals are the same for every dangerous activity, whether it be back-country Backpacking, Skiing, rock climbing, cycling, or SCUBA.
I hire a guide to help get me from point A to point Z, and everything else is icing on the cake.
I also expect myself not to put anyone into a dangerous situation. I hope that everyone in the group is willing and able to help if there is a dangerous situation.

Sorry to answer a rather old thread.

DMs around S.E.Asia tend to be one of two varieties;

1) Shepherd/Babysitter: Leading a flock of [-]sheep[/-] divers around a dive site and generally providing all necessary functions to stop said customers from prematurely and permanently ending their herd existence. Does all dive planning, equipment set-up, fixing any problems, navigation, safety assessment and generally taking every and all decision that needs to be made. Becomes the responsible buddy for every diver in their care.

2) Underwater Guide: As above, but doesn't give two hoots about customer welfare or safety. Jumps in, swims around and is always pleasantly surprised if a majority of the divers happen to surface in their general vicinity at the same time as them. When divers don't surface at the end of the dive, gets primarily concerned about being late and missing dinner/drinks/upset girlfriend etc.

According to the SSI Standard (SSI Training and Dealer Standards 2012) to become a SSI DiveMaster the candidate should be DiveGuide and have completed the Science of Diving course, so basically, a Dive Master is a DiveGuide+.

Being a single diver, I seek out dive boats that have DM in the water because they tend to have other single divers to buddy up with at the same cost of boats with out DM in the water, why should I pay $75 for the dive, $75 for a buddy. And some even give you a discount if you don't use the DM and want to go off on you own.

Come to California. You can pay for your ticket and your ticket alone and no one will charge you extra or stop you from getting in the water without a buddy/DM.

In the water or onboard, the duty of the DM is to enhance safety.

there was just a discussion about the roll of a dive master (An uncomfortable situation, Your opinions please) and it made me wonder what do we as divers see as the roll of a dive master. there are the padi,or naui or other suggested roles. but when out diving in a new place what do we expect from a dive master?

A divemaster should provide the logistic requirements for the dive including first aid provision and give a detailed accurate dive brief to the divers.
That's my ideal divemaster and also the CDWS "legal" definition of their duties here. Get me to a site, provide what i need to safely do the dive and tell me about the place.

Edit:- it also helps if they can make a decent cup of coffee and have it waiting for the second i step back onboard.

The papers your instructor signed when you received your C-Card, said that you were qualified to dive without anything more than a similarly qualified buddy.

I agree but you forgot something, it should also include "in similar conditions as you were trained in". I feel I'm a pretty qualified diver but I've seen some of those nasty surf entries they do in California and I would not want want to enter that surf with out an experienced buddy/mentor or paid DM. There's no shame in asking for advice or some mentor ship on a dive or in conditions you have not been in before.

I agree but you forgot something, it should also include "in similar conditions as you were trained in". I feel I'm a pretty qualified diver but I've seen some of those nasty surf entries they do in California and I would not want want to enter that surf with out an experienced buddy/mentor or paid DM. There's no shame in asking for advice or some mentor ship on a dive or in conditions you have not been in before.

I don't know, my '70 Y cert just says Scuba Diver, with no other limits or qualifications.

Back
Top Bottom