An uncomfortable situation, Your opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On a recent boat dive overseas dive I found myself in an uncomfortable situation.
The dive was to be lead by a local DM followed by two instabuddy teams (5 divers in total) all the divers were/are AAW certifide and all with at least 50 dives in the last 2 years. The dive brief was we were doing a max depth 22m dive with a total dive tme of 45 minutes or first to hit 50 bar. (we all looked at each other puzzled and muttered about still having half a tank at dive end). The DM said that they would blow THE smb at 42 minutes and we should group around it whilst doing our safety stop and back on the surface. CLEAR vis was 20m and bubbles visible up to 35m surface conditions were fairly well a millpond.
15 minutes into the dive I had a lump of phlem in my throat so I pulled my reg out, took a mouthfull of water so I could spit it out. I was in no way indicating distress The DM swam back and nigh on bust my teeth jamming the reg back in my mouth.
40 minutes into the dive I felt one of my weight pockets come loose.Rather than risk loosing it I just grabbed it out and carried on up from 8 meters to 6 meters directly above my instabuddy(who was at 8m) .I played around untill I'd done my safety stop by which time my instabuddy and the other divers had been grouped up near me and the DM for about a minute . The DM blew the SMB at 42 minutes. I held up my weight pocket for my instabuddy to see and thumbed. He nodded and I began a gentle ascent below the smb. looking up and down to watch the surface and my instabuddy. The DM swam up,grabbed the front of my rig and yanked me down to 6m again.I pointed to my computer to show I'd done my safety stop thumbed and carried on up again. Again the DM pulled me back down. At this point I'm thinking they had gone mad.
Once the DM had satisfied themselves they had done 3 minutes they carried on up to the surface normally.
The explaination given was that they wanted us to stay together and complete the safety stop.
Can anyone explain the logic of their actions? Or was I just outa line?

Well I would not say any one was out of line. You have to consider though they are running a business in which you agreed to their conditions and paid money. This in itself puts them in a position of potential liability if something went wrong. (Even with the waivers they could still be sued if it was gross negligence.)

They are responsible for the safety of all people who have hired them and took them out to sea. Some places will get a little ansy while others are more laid back. Honestly the best I can tell you is if you felt it was inappropriate then dont go back.

It is possible too that the DM may have been a newer DM and was over zealous with his job. either way just take it with a grain of salt.

Did you ask for any expanded explanaiton when you were all back on the boat? Seems like the DM was being a mother hen!

It sounds like the DM was trying to keep everybody together on the safety stop. As for the reg incident, probably just saw you without a reg in your mouth and assumed that you needed help. Possibly over-zealous or maybe just careful. I have had heard it several times by DM's on boats "I don't mean to talk down to anybody I just want to make sure we are all on the same page." I'm fine diving "by the numbers" if necessary but I prefer not to be relegated to the pack...where safe.
And if an op advises me in the dive briefing that we are doing some things to maintain safe diving, I figure it's a good idea to take heed. It's their backyard not mine.

IMHO it is acceptable to ask those questions of the DM/Captain/Instructor when you don't understand the Dive Plan or "approaches" to a dive. Ask politely...I would bet they have good answers. If not, keep that in mind booking your next dives.

As far as the reg issue is concerned, I also would have approached you. Instead of jamming your reg back in I would have made my spare readily available to you if I had any doubt you were in distress. Did you have your reg in hand as you were clearing your throat? A dropped reg would definitely cause me concern if i was your DM.

As far as the safety stop issue is concerned, well... I would have mentioned that i wanted everyone to do the safety stop together during the brefing. This is also why I carry a slate with me on every dive. That way i could tell you WHY I was keeping you at the safety stop.

In short, no you were not out of line. The DM was doing his job in attempting to keep everyone safe but could have been a lot more tactful about it.

Just my $0.02. Dive safe!

Ya should turned your back when you went to hock up a loogie and I would never let anyone pull me back down. He had no idea what the problem was. What if you were having an equalization issue? I'd have told him to keep his hands to himself. This is why I carry wetnotes. Com issue? write it out. And if you ended the dive for you he had no right to tell you differently. And safety stops are optional. Sounds like an overzealous DM who is going to get somebody hurt with that kind of crap.

Did you ask for any expanded explanaiton when you were all back on the boat? Seems like the DM was being a mother hen!
Yep I did because frankly I was pissed off. The reg thing was explained that "you never NEVER hold your breath"-I then said I was neither ascending or decending at the time so why not? They then went back to lung damage etc. Again I said I was neither ascending or decending so I don't see the issue.
The acending thing was explained that they diddn't want any diver drifting off and getting lost.
The dive op does seem to cater to resort divers more than more experienced divers.

Jerks. You were not holding your breath. You were puking up a nudibranch. You should direct them to this thread. I'd love to see em explain their actions here.

Did you have your reg in hand as you were clearing your throat?
Yep sure did--Untill it was ripped outa my hand and jambed in me gob.

The dive op does seem to cater to resort divers more than more experienced divers.

I think this is the answer right here.

Live and learn. Use another op next time, and ask them up front to avoid a repeat.

Happy Diving!

Back
Top Bottom