Do I need to take open water course again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpauline

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have not been diving in 12 years. In 2009 I took a refresher pool course because I was planning on diving in Sierra Leone due to work. Unfortunately I did not get the opportunity to actually dive in SL. I only have 44 logged dives and am Nitrox certified. I have dove Fiji, off Vancouver Island and the Brother Islands in the Red Sea. Deepest dive 140 feet. The reason I am mentioning all this is for reference/baseline purposes.

My 14 year old daughter is taking an open water course now and I want to start diving together. Any suggestions on whether I need to take the open water diver training again? I don't think so but want to be a safe diver and buddy with my daughter. I was thinking that I should take an advanced open water course and couple that with some easier Caribbean diving and quarry diving followed by diving in Tobermory once I get more comfortable with diving again. Any opinions?

I just did what you are thinking about, after a 15 year haiitus. My son and daughter went through OW at the local shop. I did the "refresher" class, but basically just went through the whole class, pool sessions, and check dives with them. Dive shop basically charged me half of a full OW class. It was fun to be able to watch the, progress and I got a chance to see where their skills are and what we need to work on on our own.

I would talk to your dive shop and see if you can audit the course along side of them. My son and I will take AOW together and I will audit when he takes Rescue diver. (I am a former YMCA AI so have done rescue before).

Its a great chance do learn with your kids.

While you do not "need" to take the certification class again, I think in your case it would be a good idea for the following reasons:
1. You will enjoy the experience of sharing the class with your daughter
2. You will be updated as to changes in diving over the past 12 years, including computer use and equipment improvements
3. It will be more thorough than a refresher course.
4. The dive shop may allow an "audit" basis, like JIsgren mentioned above, at half price. BTW, for all you instructors and shop owners, I think that is a great idea!
You don't necessarily need a new certification, but going through the class will be very valuable for the reasons stated. Have fun!
DivemasterDennis

Why not? It's something you can do together and you can knock off the cobwebs while you're at it. Odds are a lot of your old knowledge will come back to you and you'll feel confident in your classroom/ocean sessions, but you'll probably be a lot more comfortable when you finally hit the water on your own.

I think your plan to take AOW is realistic. Your experience sounds solid and you could get a refresher session with your instructor before starting AOW. I think you'll find basic OW too elementary.

Flame away....;-)

If I had to ask myself that question I would take open water again or atleast some sort of refresher training. Some quality mentorship goes a long way too but theres that word quality again.

Yes, I believe you should take the OW class along with your daughter. If they allow an audit it'll probably save you some money, since you won't need to purchase student kits or cover the cost for certification fees. But this is you're daughter you're planning to dive with ... why would you not want to be as fully-informed and as recently-trained as possible? Besides, taking the class together will help you and her learn how to be good dive buddies to each other.

If you have not been diving in 12 years, then the chances are quite high that (a) you've forgotten something that you learned, and (b) the skills you developed through those 44 dives you did have grown some rust on them.

It's not like riding a bicycle, yanno ... you won't just get in the water and be back where you left off.

Take the training, be sure, be safe ... if not for your sake, for your daughter's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When I got certified, my husband, who had not been diving in many years, took the class with me. He was glad he did. Equipment had changed and some approaches had changed, and he had been out of the water a long time. I don't think you would find it money wasted -- and in addition, you'll get to see your daughter in the water, and you'll know where her weak spots are and what she needs to work on once the class is over.

More learning never hurts. Review of skills never hurts. If you're not sure whether you should take the class, you probably should. And doing it with your daughter will probably be fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom