Do i really need a Dive Computer for first time in the ocean ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, lets make something very clear. Do you NEED one? The real answer is "it depends on your training agency's standards". Some agencies require a computer for OW divers. So in that case...YES, you need one.

More important is 'should you have one?' A dive computer does make diving safer, easier and can provide additional information about a dive and your dive parameters. I learned to dive long before dive computers so tables and calculations were the norm. Today I do not dive without a dive computer for a wealth of reasons. It just makes good sense to have and use one.

It may be required for training with some. But you cannot force someone to buy one if they don't want one, can't afford one, or wants something different. So instructors and shops need to decide if they are going to require students to have computers, are they willing and able to provide them? If not they should be teaching tables as well. I teach tables. Some of my students do decide to buy computers but they are not required to do so. They do need to have a suitable timing device and depth gauges are included on the rental gear they get.

A dive computer does make diving safer...

Safer than what? Can you elaborate?

You don't need a dive computer, but I'd recommend getting one, especially for a new diver. Can be a basic model, nothing fancy. Learning tables is advised. The reason I recommend a dive computer for a new diver is that it's easy for the new diver to get distracted and make a mistake. Such as going too deep, staying too long, or ascending too fast. The computer will be there and provide a warning so the diver can correct. Tables will help you plan and figure out you've made a mistake after the fact, but a computer can provide this info real time.

Hello,

I am just wondering if i need a dive computer if i am planning to go to the ocean for the first time in a 4 hour diving trip ?

Thanks for your help,
G

Interesting to read so many good advices pupping up while the opp has not specified what he was after in terms of dive profile, dive experience, dive buddy's certification agencies......................... :).

Is the opp planning for 2 consecutive dives in clear water around 30 feet with friends or would visit a wreck in bad visibility and some current @ 80 feet with a commercial operator? Two quite differenet sets of needs, hm?

I just got certified. I am flying to south Florida on mid April so I contacted LauderdaleDiver for diving trips. It will be my first time scuba diving into the ocean so the fact I am new on this I don't want to spends lots of money on equipment. Of course I am expecting to dive with a buddy, more people and the dive master. That was the main reason I asked my question. Peace.

I just got certified. I am flying to south Florida on mid April so I contacted LauderdaleDiver for diving trips. It will be my first time scuba diving into the ocean so the fact I am new on this I don't want to spends lots of money on equipment. Of course I am expecting to dive with a buddy, more people and the dive master. That was the main reason I asked my question. Peace.

Just a note - if you are diving with a buddy and they have a computer and you are using tables - what are you going to do when you hit your limit and they still have dive time available?

If you are comfortable calling the dive and they dont mind - all is good.
If you call the dive and they are getting a much shorter dive due to your tables - you are now impacting your buddy.

So for this trip only it may be worth renting a computer for the dive so you get a potentially longer dive and closely match your buddy so neither one of you are being short changed on the dive.

Depends on the dives and how many dives you are planning per day. If you're going for a two-tank boat dive bimble on a shallow reef the dive op will probably limit you to an hour per site. You won't need a computer. You'll need a watch so you can be back to the boat on time. If the dive OP requires a computer, they will probably rent you one. Most of the dive OPs I've used in the Keys that require a computer, include one gratis if you don't have one. Best to call ahead and ask. If you are going to deeper sites then you'll need tables or a computer. Many of the dive OPs will give a site briefing including a recommended max depth and time for the deeper dives, but it's better to be self-sufficient and be able to figure it for yourself. In fact, contact your dive OP in advance and ask ANY questions you have. You want to be comfy and the dive OP wants you to be comfy. If they don't answer your questions or make you feel uncomfortable, find another dive OP. There are lots of great dive OPs in S. FL and the Keys (can't swing a dead cat without hitting one). Have fun.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom