Do i really need a Dive Computer for first time in the ocean ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got certified. I am flying to south Florida on mid April so I contacted LauderdaleDiver for diving trips. It will be my first time scuba diving into the ocean so the fact I am new on this I don't want to spends lots of money on equipment. Of course I am expecting to dive with a buddy, more people and the dive master. That was the main reason I asked my question. Peace.

As you know, Lauderdale Diver is a booking agent, not a dive operation itself. They book you onto boat trips run by dive ops. My advice is that when you show up at the dive op on the morning of your dive, tell them you would like to rent a computer. Most dive ops are going to want you to dive with a computer. If nothing else, it satisfies the dive op and gives you a little practice using a computer.

You do not NEED a dive computer.

But, at least, you DO NEED to have something to measure time and depth .... that's almost a dive computer.

Agree with most of the replies.
You will need a time device and depth information.
Those will allow you to use your tables.

I also agree it would be easier to just rent a computer.
When you are ready to purchase one there are some two gas, puck computers that are relatively cheep.
Tusa makes one that can be purchased pretty easy.
A really nice dive shop if in the Orlando area is DAYO Scuba.
I know for certain they could rent you what you need.

CamG

My friend had a Cressi it did a fine job.

CamG

I just got certified. I am flying to south Florida on mid April so I contacted LauderdaleDiver for diving trips. It will be my first time scuba diving into the ocean so the fact I am new on this I don't want to spends lots of money on equipment. Of course I am expecting to dive with a buddy, more people and the dive master. That was the main reason I asked my question. Peace.

When you took your class, did you learn to plan, execute, and record your dives with a table or a computer? Use what you learned with.

If you were taught to use a computer, you can rent them.

If you did not want to rent, then earn the tables, you will have to purchase a set if you don't have them. Of course you will also need a watch.

If you were taught to plan and execute your dives using tables, then by all means use the tables.

Glad to see you learnt tables. I think some agencies now have the option of teaching EITHER a DC or tables at open water level, so some new students haven't actually learnt tables at all. I have come across divers who don't know or understand dive tables and just blindly rely on their computer, but I have also seen divers who have come up from a dive with a beeping dive computer and not understood what it meant ! I remember one conversation I had with an insta-buddy explaining them it was telling them they had ascended too fast and missed the 3 minute safety stop, to get the reply "it often does that, I wondered what it meant!"

So I would sum it up by saying the following -

1. No you don't NEED a dive computer, provided you understand dive planning with tables for the type of dive you are doing, plan the dive and dive the plan, and have suitable bottom timer and depth gauge.
2. A computer CAN make things easier, but only if you understand how it works and still carefully monitor it.
3. Because a computer uses a real world profile rather than an idealised square profile from a dive table you will normally get a longer dive before you reach NDL because it tracks you actual nitrogen exposure at your depth and time profile. (this is also why you should never rely on a buddies computer, they may have gone either deeper or shallower than your actual profile and their computer will reflect that).
4. Absolute best practice would be to plan your dive with a table so you know your NDL limits, plan a contingency (deeper or longer dive), then make the dive using the computer for the dive itself. That way if the computer fails you know you can still make a safe ascent (this is more relevant if you are doing a dive that may incur a slight deco obligation which you probably will not be doing yet).
5. Finally if you are diving tables and your buddy is diving a computer (or vice a versa) make sure you have discussed and agreed dive length, maximum depth and when you call the dive, make sure you agree, and stick to the agreement.

Safe diving and enjoy your first sea dives - Phil.

My advise would be to rent stuff, until you know how far you want to go into diving. Then , purchase is done with much more knowledge.

Let me give you 2 exemples: You buy a cheap but good computor ( ex Cressi Leonardo), then you go in places were you are flirting with NDL limits. THEN, this computor may not be a good choice. Same thing if you decide to use a second deco gaz. Leonardo does not offer that possibility.

You buy a orally inflatable small smb coupled with a 20 feet rope and a small weight. A very good alternative for a beginner. Then you realise that you want to go in REAL open sea on a liveboard where serious deco stops may be needed. Then you are better off with a large SMB (40 pounds +) a real with 100 feet+ of rope......................

Please be aware that these are two PERSONNAL example that shows that you can end up buying 2 or 3 times the same item, in a short time, just because you have not weighted all the options.

SO RENT, RENT, RENT.

You will love it in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom