Do I Really Need An Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, seems a pretty unanimous response so far. And by the way, I'm not a troll, thanks, just a guy looking for opinions. Typo should have read "solo". Is a spare Scubapro R190 ok to use as an octopus ?

<snip>I seem to remember that we all had to learn how to buddy breathe. I'd assume that this is still part of the program. <snip>
I can't address the YMCA cirricula, but this is rarely taught in today's trimmed-down OW scuba class and most often discouraged.

I, too, feel completely confident in buddy breathing with a regular buddy (especially) if we are from our same era - our pool graduation exercise was to black out our masks, buddy breathe to the deep end, and swap gear.

Eric, I wouldn't expect the same level from the modern OW graduate; they are taught to offer the octo. Equip yourself for the lowest common denominator.

All the best, James

I took open water back in 1988 from the YMCA. I seem to remember that we all had to learn how to buddy breathe. I'd assume that this is still part of the program. Having an octo is more convenient, but nobody should be diving without knowing this basic skill.

It's no longer taught by any agency I am aware of. At least not in OW. Maybe in CMAS or BSAC. I learned it in Adv. Nitrox due to the possibility of having to deco on one tank. Great skill to learn, but like many other skills, it's been removed from the OW curriculum.

Is a spare Scubapro R190 ok to use as an octopus ?

If I was out of gas, and you handed me one, I'd be pretty happy to get it! If that's what you've got, by all means use it.

Those of us who donate our primary regs tend to like using high quality regs for both primary and secondary. Because if our buddy runs out of gas, we have to use the backup.

Frankly, if you can afford it, get a nice octo. Under stress (and the guy who needs gas is under EXTREME stress) you'd like to give them something that breathes pretty well. The sooner they feel relieved, the better off you both will be.

Although an octo is primarily for the purpose of providing air to others, remember that it also gives you redundancy on your primary regulator, if it should malfunction in some way. People on this board have reported loss of mouthpiece, torn mouthpieces, and malfunctioning exhaust valves, as well as losing the primary regulator and being unable to recover it quickly. These would all be examples of problems where you might be quite glad you had another regulator to go to.

well, seems a pretty unanimous response so far. And by the way, I'm not a troll, thanks, just a guy looking for opinions. Typo should have read "solo". Is a spare Scubapro R190 ok to use as an octopus ?

Eric, when are you getting certified? I would wait until after you got trained before running out and buying any gear other than a wetsuit and a mask.

Where did you do your training? This seems like a pretty silly question for anyone that is certified? :confused:

The 1st time you would like to use your buddy's you will have all the answers!

It's no longer taught by any agency I am aware of. At least not in OW. Maybe in CMAS or BSAC. I learned it in Adv. Nitrox due to the possibility of having to deco on one tank. Great skill to learn, but like many other skills, it's been removed from the OW curriculum.

Many agencies have it as an optional skill in their entry level class. It was dropped as a required skill because people are afraid of HIV transmission. Yes, I know HIV cannot be transmitted in this manner, but fear is rarely rational.

I had my OW students buddy breathe while switching gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom