Do I Really Need An Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually he has been diving for over five years now

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that he has not been diving very long.

~Scuba_Steve~:
my point is that people use diferent methods of teach and verbage nothing more...if one cals it breathing from an octo, spare reg, back up air source, or alternate air source its all the same?

It is not all the same and words have meaning. While a rose by any other name is valid, it's only valid if the other name doesn't already have a different widely accepted definition. Calling a rose a petunia will confuse communication, not enhance it.

I tend to test my backup reg every dive. In an OOA scenario, that's MY reg since I donate the primary. Makes sense to check it regularly. It's just a part of my pre-dive routine now.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. My 1994 PADI OW maunal clearly defines "buddy breathing" as 2 divers on one regulator. What you are describing is referred to as "ascent using an alternate air source".

Steve - How about getting your manual so we can get an idea when they changed it.

I suspect this gentleman's instructor (with 5 years experience) attempted to teach him correctly. I think the communication problem lies elsewhere.

c

Hmmm Well, I am PADI trained and know how to buddy breath and ascend using an alternate air source. I test my octo every time I begin a dive and I have purchased a pony bottle. Maybe the new student misunderstood? hmmmmm

I tend to test my backup reg every dive. In an OOA scenario, that's MY reg since I donate the primary. Makes sense to check it regularly. It's just a part of my pre-dive routine now.

I think I will adopt this, myself. Thank you! After all, before clipping off the octo, it's quick and easy to just pop it in and breathe it a couple of times. :thumb:

I also always check my octo before getting in the water. I usually breathe off it for part of each dive too, just to make sure it is working at depth and to be used to a different reg. While I do not have many deep dives, if I am below 60' I usually test the octo to make sure it is working, especially in cold Minnesota water.

I do this as well as I use the much debated Air II, not an octo. Important, especially with new buddies. I test the reg and also practice inflating, deflating BC while using it. Very easy to practice during a safety stop.

PADI taught me alternate air and buddy breathing. BB was far down the list of prioritized options. If I remember right, PADI would rather see you head for the surface in a controlled manner, if you have enough air, than BB.

Personally I don't see what the big deal about carrying an octo is. It doesn't cost a lot, it doesn't get in the way, and it gives YOU some redundancy as well. I would try to avoid diving with someone without an octo for me to use.

I was Padi certified less than a year ago and was instructed on how to buddy breath.

I figured that this was part of the course.

From reading other post about these "sweat shop" dive classes, it seems i found myself a great instructor who went tthe extra mile.

Also the dive club I belong to hold pool session before the summer season opens, and the instructors go over the basics with us. It is like a condenced OW course, and will be a welcomed treat this spring.

Back
Top Bottom