Do passes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can remember the Bayliner television commercials running on the eastern North Carolina stations when I was in my 20's. They showed several versions of the then popular Bayliner runabouts and the monthly payment price for each one. You could call a toll-free number (even toll-free numbers were rare then) and tell them which boat you wanted. In about two weeks, a some-what local dealer would arrive at your house with your new boat, trailer, 4 lift vests, ignition key on a float..... and your finance contract.....no down payment (rare for anything then), just commitment for 36 months. Boat ownership was made SO easy. Oh well. Things change.

Phil Ellis

Judging by the skill and knowledge level of many boaters, I can see that you're speaking the truth.

Nice boat Nemrod, I really, really like fully foamed hulls.

Unfortunately mine is not, but I am going to great lengths within my budget to make her as tight and safe as possible.

Nice boat Nemrod, I really, really like fully foamed hulls.

Unfortunately mine is not, but I am going to great lengths within my budget to make her as tight and safe as possible.

Thanks, we like it for it's purpose. If we were to go much bigger we would probably put let emphasis on flotation and more on other things like a soft ride and dry areas and a head---lol. Foam boats are like trying to sink a surfboard, not really possible but they have issues like keeping on top of hull damage to prevent water intrusion etc. Both good and bad in everything. Something about little bitty boats and really big water make me think flotation is important :O.

We just got back from a few weeks down in Florida and on one of our missions I hit what looked like a wooden hatch from a large boat full of nails and screws. I did not see any damage at first but was under the hull getting rid of barnacles and saw the damage, cosmetic to be sure but it is clear something gave us a good whack and we did feel a thump. Two grooves through the gell down to the laminate below, nothing I cannot fix good as new but irratating nonetheless and will have to be repaired. Oh well, could have been worse. If it had knocked a hole in the hull instead of bouncing off it would not have endangered the boat, in that respect foam is good.

N

I would think it would take quite a hit to actually pierce a hull, but I have heard of it happening.

More likely would be a fitting failure, something many manufacturers don't think too much about it seems.
Of the many potential water entry points into the bilge of my boat are two PLASTIC floor scuppers. They are buried in the foam under the floor and I am not exactly sure how I am going to change them out, but they have deteriorated to the point that I am no longer comfortable with them.

I cannot believe with the cost of these machines that manufacturers skimp on such important items. If the barb on those scuppers cracks it will be a direct entry point, even though the outlet is slightly above water line, it could sink the boat in the right conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom