Do the divemaster course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you will find that it does not improve your basic skills per se as the focus is on dive physiology and physics, and on dive supervision. What it will do for you is increase your situational awareness. This is actually a very good reason to take the course.

After my DM, I found that I was anticipating things that my buddy and others were doing around me.

Jerry

JimC:
I answered this question. DIR-F is exactly that, a way to improve dive skills. I don't think any one will refute that DIR-F does that.

Agreed.

Takeing a GUE course does not force you to stop diving with anyone. Take it for what it is, learn what you can from it and make your own choices when your done. Most divers will take something from the course, even if they decide to leave most of it on the cutting floor. Having passed a DIR-F, my primary dive buddy is still a computer wearing, flutter kicking diver that does not pratice her skills near often enough.

Ok. In itself that's correct in your context (DIR in Canada). I'm not out to bash DIR-F but I don't like the assumption that it's necessarily the best way to proceed in every context. I appreciate that we have a difference of opinion about this and I respect your opinion.

Having said that, there is something about the context of DIR specific to the Netherlands that you need to understand in order to understand my opinion.

First of all, DIR is very much a fringe movement here. There are only a couple of hundred divers in the whole country who are trying to be DIR and probably a dozen or so who can claim to be even close to advanced at it. Of those there are probably 2 or 3 who pretty much hold their thumb over the rest of the DIR crowd. They decide who is DIR in Holland and who is not. Their stamp of approval is more or less necessary if you are to dive with the DIR crowd in the Netherlands and their stamp of approval is not easily acquired and is easily lost.

Think what you will about this but this is context of DIR in Holland at the moment this is very much a reality that a diver like Barry would have to deal with. In your case, if you were a Dutch diver then you would be ostracized an perhaps ridiculed for the fact alone that your regular dive buddy is not DIR.

The other option would be to do what you want. These divers will always have a schizophrenic position in diving circles. DIR divers will not fully accept them because they dive with str.o.kes and the typical non DIR diver will not fully accept them because they have become a little (to state it mildly) oversensitive to the arrogant antics of a few of the DIR trend-setters here.

In other words if you try doing it on your own, like you are doing, then you'll make yourself a permanent outsider. The DIR divers I dive with, for example, simply can't tell their DIR masters that they dove with me. They'd just be tossed out.

What Holland needs at the moment is a GUE instructor who is willing to break with the current DIR top and bring DIR up to a higher level. So far it hasn't happened and until it does I don't think that going DIR is the most helpful way to advance. If I won the lottery tomorrow I would commit the rest of my life to this because I believe that the DIR movement in Holland needs positive leadership.

So this all begs the question, what *do* serious Dutch divers do. To keep the argument simple, almost all of them go IANTD. The IANTD (Hogarthian) crowd here are more relaxed and are actually out there diving. A DIR diver who I know says he likes the IANTD crowd much better because they actually go diving instead of standing around talking intelligently about diving. This isn't a bash, he really said this and it illustrates to me the sad state of the DIR movement in Holland.

So getting back to Barry. When I suggested to him that he round out his set of skills with PADI specialties and prepare to go IANTD there was a well thought out reason for that. It's not anti-DIR but how to tap in to the positive thinking tek crowd that's already there.

R..

That is unfortunate Diver0001.

-hi jack-
I would probably do what I want, even living in your country and snub my nose at both the carried away DIR "elite" and the guys who are justifiably sensitive. That is sort of what I do here anyway. Most of my buddies are decidedly non-dir , non-GUE trained. In fact in 6 weeks I'll be happily gliding down peanut tunnel with them and be the only GUE card carrying one. I chose my dive buddies based on there skill and attitude even tho I have a GUE card and would like more training from them.
-/hi jack-

If the situation is as bad as you indicate, I would probably look up a skilled diver, such as your self. Then cajole them into mentoring rather than take a pile of courses. Heck, I'd do that anyway, DIR-F or not. :)

JimC:
If the situation is as bad as you indicate, I would probably look up a skilled diver, such as your self. Then cajole them into mentoring rather than take a pile of courses. Heck, I'd do that anyway, DIR-F or not. :)

Indeed. If a picture is worth 1000 words then a good mentor is worth a 1000 courses.

R..

JimC:
If the situation is as bad as you indicate

BTW, I wouldn't characterize the situation as "bad". I would submit that with the DIR community as small and isolated as it is that it simply isn't impacting diving here at all. It's not "good" or "bad" or anything at all. It's simply not worth putting a label on it. In other words, it's only a problem if you think it needs or is worth changing.

I also feel the need to make the point that the majority of the Dutch DIR crowd are just normal guys. The problem is disastrous leadership; the responsibility lays with a few individuals who have more or less claimed DIR for their own and who have no ambition to work on a positive image.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom