Do you dive with a compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Suunto SK-7 on my console. It's a good idea to use one in unfamiliar territory.

Yes, I do have one and use it every dive. Mounted in the console. First thing I do before descending is get a compass bearing on the direction to shore.

Originally posted by Murdock325
Just wondering how many people here dive with a compass, or if it's all that necessary. If you do dive with one, is it wrist or console mounted and do you use it very often?

Always. No matter where I'm diving, I use the compass. It's a no-brainer in low vis and working with classes. On vacation, say in Cozumel, I take a heading on the shore line. Currents and conditions can change, and it's easy to get confused. I always know how to get back 'home'.

Mine is at the end of my computer.

Always - I have a suunto (wrist mount type) attached to my BC, except when I have to lend it to an instructor that forgets his.

The last time I lent it to an instructor it did not help him though - fortunately my radar was better and I found the site without my compass!! So to add to it discussion - and do you know how to use it?!

Jonathan

Yep. Mounted on the console so I can't ever forget it.

Diving the NJ shore you can prety much count on low vis...

20 foot vis is considered unbelievably amazing by some of the guys I dive with. Usualy it's somewhere between 2 to 15 feet.

On rare occations it's the "feel around for your buddy game".

"Hey, those aren't pillows!"
-- Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Always, left wrist as noted above, Suunto sk6, a little smaller than the sk7.

I am hideous at navigation so try to get a little in every dive.

Tommy

Back
Top Bottom