Do you have a dive sticker on your car?

• Yes

Votes: 73 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 47 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

learn-scuba:
In the better than twelve years I've been diving, I have never had any gear stolen at any time with the possible exception of a dive knife while in Roatan and that could well have simply been lost. Gear laying around on picnic tables at training areas, boats and so on it typical and by-and-large I have found divers to be trustworthy. Perhaps because they respect what it costs to buy that gear... or maybe because I'm an instructor and they look at my stuff and think "that junk's way too worn out to be worth stealing" ~grin~

Seriously though... for example, this past weekend, I had a group of five students at Devil's Den -- as is standard practice we left our gear and such at the picnic tables when diving. We would be gone for an hour at a time and everything was always right where it was left when we returned. I find that to pretty much always be the case.

Ive had my weight belt (still full of pouches) stolen. The first part was my own fault, i left it next to our boats in the yacht club where its parked. By the time i realised and came back it had gone and not handed in to the club (the only building for aobut half a mile).

Although not first hand ive read elsewhere of drysuits and things going missing off tables and benches.

Its not all grim though, many times we'd had divers come up to our boat on the water and ask us have we lost a torch as theyve found one, come into a charter shop and ask the same and someone did return my knife which i hadnt even realised id lost at the time. Like everything else, there are a few bad individuals in a group (in this case divers).

i have a dive flag in my reciever hitch, and a "a bad day diving is better that a good day at work" sticker on my rear window. i dont buy into the whole advertising thing. where i live there are alot of vehicles with expensive stereos and expensive paint jobs. i think i am just as likely to be a victim of theft just because i have a nice truck. if im not in my vehicle on the way to or from a dive site, then im in the water with my gear or its in my house. so if anyone breaks into my truck for dive gear all they will get is some pennies a blanket, jumpercables, and a carcharger. besides, the truck is insured.

Yes and it is the same as my avatar, by the way that is my logo forr my business

element:
I know up in NE at all dive sites you will see about 90% cars with dive stickers of one sort or another. Some with Dan logo some with Padi. Just currious if its the same around the world?

On my Dive Truck;

1) Olympus Divers, Morehead City.
2) Discovery Diving, Wilmington.
3) 3 DAN stickers, port, starbord, aft.
4) Splashdown Divers, Boynton Beach.
5) Aquatic Safaris, Wilmington.
6) Rhea's Diving Services, Maryville.
7) Generic Nitrox sticker.
8) NSSCDS.
9) Outerbanks Divers, Hatteras.
10) Smokey Mountain Divers, Jefferson City.
11) Cave Diver's Forum (www.)
12) Halcyon
13) Large generic dive flag.

I leave two full sets of dive gear & tanks in the truck, with my magic dive bag, and nobody ever bothers it.

Must be the rest of my stickers;

14) NRA life member.
15) USMC x3.
16) Kerry/Fonda '04 w/ NVA flag.

No stickers on either the car or the truck. Do have dive flag tag in the back window of my truck. On the car its RonJon (one from both coasts) a golfi'n calvin and my personal favorite "destination paradise"(circular design of a palm tree and a island). WIll change them when a whim hits (not the RonJon's) but then they are easy to replace as I make signs to help support my addiction.

Brian

Many.

Along with Fly Fishing stickers, drummer stickers and the Dream Theater Majesty sticker Mike gave me. I also have some Hawaii stickers ("Island Snow", "Sponsored by Nobody", "Kailua Boys" and some others.) Not on the truck, but on the back / side windows of the shell.

My personalized plate gives away the fact I'm a fisherman... so stickers aren't the only come steal me on my truck!

The only thing actually on the truck is this cool Aluminum Billet Scuba Flag I found on eBay. Thick, bullet proof, very cool. Its on the gate. Everything else is on the windows of the shell.

If I ever left my drums or dive stuff in my truck overnight, shame on me. A screwdriver could open the Shell window I'm sure. I always empty the thing when I get home.

element:
I know up in NE at all dive sites you will see about 90% cars with dive stickers of one sort or another. Some with Dan logo some with Padi. Just currious if its the same around the world?

No stickers. I have a brand new Ford Explorer, and just don't want to put anything on it. However, I do have a license plate on the front of it, that shows a diver.

element:

I don't. It's an invitation to thieves and I want my car to look as inconspicuous as possible.

If I did put something in my car I think I'd make a sign that says "All of my valuables are in the car to your left". :)

R..

JessicaDodge:
Yep, One. On my bumber I have a dive flag that says "I would rather be diving" I don't have an expensive car and never have dive gear in it without being in it so I am not worried about theft. Plus, I like to see other cars with diving related stickers on them, it gives me a little thrill to see cars go by and think to myself, that could be a dive buddy one day. Makes you feel closer to the jerk cutting you off in traffic.

Jessica

My father recently has his 1986 toyota pickup truck with the many-colored, many-dented paint and kinda trashed interior and rusty bed stolen. He claims someone else out there obviously knew the true worth of the vehicle...

So, don't think that a cheap car is any insurance against having the whole thing stolen with all your dive gear in it...

I have a small DAN sticker on my snowboard...

Certainly over here you are far less likely to get a vehicle broken into if it ISNT displaying the fact it might have something worth stealing in.

Back
Top Bottom