Do you have a minimum viz or temp for a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No limitis, unless I'm going to freeze my butt off upon entering the water.

No limits, just shorter dives with colder water.

It's the SI with a stiff breeze blowing and sub 20 Celcius air temps that really get me wearing a wetsuit.

Jarrett:
New to the sport and trying to define my personal limits on diving. I've dove in 68 degree water so far and was ok with it. Not sure how much colder I would like to go than that. But recently I did a dive where the viz was about 3-4 feet and didn't really enjoy it too much. Kinda like closing your eyes and swimming around in the pool. I think a lot of the enjoyment of the sport is being able to actually see something for me.

I talked to a rather knowledgeable diver lately who told me at this point he was an "80 cubed" diver. Needed 80 foot depth, 80 foot visability, and 80 degree water temp or he wasn't really that interested in going anymore.

What about you, do you have limits on what you will dive?

80 cubed? Man. Either he lives someplace really nice or he doesn't dive alot.

4-5ft viz, 45F (so far...possibly a bit lower ,but not much), any rec depth

ScubaSixString:
80 cubed? Man. Either he lives someplace really nice or he doesn't dive alot.

4-5ft viz, 45F (so far...possibly a bit lower ,but not much), any rec depth
omg i cant stop laughing
i guess hes never gonna see any northeast wrecks....
as long at tghe waters liquid, and i can read my gauges.. im diving

If I'm paying to dive and I can find out visibility before hand, I'd like 5-10' visibility depending on the site. If its a free dive, as long as I can make out my gauges, I'll give it a try - might not stay down long, but I'll give it a shot. 3' is perfectly fine for a shore dive off our local beaches. Its nice when they exceed 40' though :D

I've dived in waters down to 56ºF in my 3mm + hoodvest and felt alright, assuming I can get warm during the SI I'll even do a repetive dive or two. I'd probably atleast try diving down to about 50ºF in my current suit, dunno about lower without buying something warmer...

Depths? I've spent several hour plus, even 100 plus minute, dives in under 20' of water. I'm good as long as I'm within rec limits, for now :wink:

Still mostly liquid and total darkness even works. I worry about high temps more than low temps.

Gary D.

I prefer warm and good viz, but whatever works, you're still diving.

I just did a mapping project in Lake Travis - less than 3 feet down to 30 ffw, got slightly better to about 60 ffw, then cleared up although dark. My daughter was my buddy, and she had just completed her OW although then the viz was about 10'. It will be interesting to see what she thinks of the Keys next month.

I draw the line at my bathtub, although if you went there, and turned the lights out, you could pretend you were in some Texas swamp!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom