Do you have a minimum viz or temp for a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett:
do you have limits on what you will dive?
I'm one of those that tends to prefer a cold mudhole over no diving, so my kneejerk answer is "no." But that's not quite true. The only reason I'd dive in truly zero vis would be to recover something important, or tighten or loosen an important nut or something like that.
I can remember a dive when the Lovely Young Kat & I got to the bottom and we could see each other's faces and nothing else, not even the anchor line we were holding on to at arm's length. We aborted that one, as our objective was to see the critters. On the other hand, one of our most delightful dives was in three foot vis, where we worked slowly along a section of wreck gunnel observing the little stuff - took nearly an hour to watch the show along about ten linear feet, a few inches at the time.
Bottom line: the vis/temp that'll cause me to abort a dive depends on many things, and can approach zero/icy - but in general I'd say I want about three feet vis (temp's a matter of exposure suit and available after-dive clothes) for most dives.
My first choice is for decent vis and bathing-suit warm, though... like last weekend in the Gulf :)
Rick

You did not say what thermal protection you had on during your dive. If you were cold, you just need better thermal protection. People dive the artic (which by all accounts is outstanding). I live and dive in Southern California where 7mm is the normal wetsuit.

Our normal temps are 52F - 58F water with visibility 10-15 feet off the beach on the mainland as normal, 40 feet on really good days and reflection inside mask only (RIMO) on occasion. Off shore say San Clemente Island or Catalina, 40-60 foot visibility is common with the odd 100 foot visibility day. If I lived someplace with colder water I would get a dry suit and dive it.

If the visibility is limited, you look for small stuff. I would wager you swam right over a lot of interesting creatures in the 1/2 to 2 inch range and bigger (halibut, sole etc) that hide in the sand. I have had some very interesting dives in 5 foot visibility. Makes it more fun when a sea line buzzes you in only 5 feet or less of visibility. That first few seconds after he goes by is a real ad I live and dive in Southern California. You did not say what thermal protection you had on during your dive.

Here I dive 7mm wetsuit for 52F - 58F water with visibility 10-15 as normal, 40 feet on really good days and reflection inside mask only (RIMO) on occasion. If I lived someplace with colder water I would get a dry suit and dive it.

If the visibility is limited, you go slow and look for small stuff. I would wager you swam right over a lot of interesting creatures in the 1/2 to 2 inch range and bigger (halibut, sole etc) that hide in the sand. I have had many an excellent dive in 5 feet of visibility or less looking at small stuff. Sometimes a sea lion will buzz you and when they first buzz by in limited visibility like that, well it’s a real adrenaline rush for a few seconds until you figure out what it is. Then you get another rush as you wonder, was he playing or running away from something (play theme from Jaws here)?

That said, if I know before I go in the visibility is not at least 5 feet, I usually will not dive. But if it is 5 feet or more, I am going diving.

I prefer to be able to see to the end of my arm so I can see where I am sticking it.

Temp has never been a problem. Most of my diving is in the 40-50 degree F range.

I have been in water that was in the upper 30s a few times without too much discomfort.

Incidentally, the water tends to clearer as it gets colder in the areas I dive. Less people kicking up the bottom and the algea dies off. Therefore, I associate cold water with great viz. I always will trade warmth for viz right up to old 32F.

I won't lie and say that I don't prefer great visibility and warm (comfortable) temperatures, but I don't get to travel that far all that much. As such, most of my dives are in the mid-50s with about 10 feet of visibility. If I dive wet, I'll use a 7mm semi-dry wetsuit.

But now that I have a dry suit, I find myself looking forward to those colder waters (just to piss off my dive buddy who still dives wet)! :D

I only have a few dives but as they are all boat dives I want at least 20' of vis as I am paying for the trip. I will do whatever I get however as long as I can see the end of my arm, haven't done one of those but I think it could still be interesting. I am looking at the Cooper River in SC so I may not even get that.

Not for a dive, but I might have a limited vis for a *drive* to a dive.

Temperature is irrelevant in terms of diving or not. I might go a little further for warmer water, but if I'm gonna dive I'm gonna dive.

Limits? I don't think so! (concering vis and temp of course!)
However, so far I have dived:
Lowest vis= inches
Lowest temp=43°
(fortunatley seperate dives)

I don't have limits for water temp.
If I dive deep or wrecks and the viz is very bad, Less than a couple of feet
we usually call the dive so we don't have to waste 60$ of helium to
swim around and not seeing anything.
For rec dives I don't really care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom