Do You Remove Battery From Your Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. If you are worried, get a spare to change to when the current one stops working.

Alkalines in particular are prone to leaking potassium hydroxide when they are dead, which is pretty corrosive. Best practice might be to remove an alkaline battery if you won't be using it for a few months, to replace the alkaline battery once a year, or have some other procedure for reducing the likelihood of a leak.

The Scubapro Luna uses a CR12600SE, 3V, lithium battery. Lithium batteries do not leak. You can leave it hibernate inside your computer during the Canadian winter. Now, alkaline batteries do leak and can, at least, ruin the electrical contacts. Fortunately very few dive computers, if any, use alkaline batteries.

Buddhasumer: Examples of dive computers using alkaline batteries are the Mares M1 and Guardian (both of them use AA size, 1.5V) and the Dacor Omni Pro, which uses a J7K67, 6 V. All three of them are almost extinct species now days. I assume that by SW you refer to Shearwater and yes, the Petrel can use almost any kind of battery including the alkaline AA, 1.5V (although SW recommends using the SAFT LS14500 lithium 3.6V). I do not know what dive computer do you refer by HW.

i used to "disconnect" my coin batteries by slipping a piece of paper into the battery holder. this was for an old datamax sport. as a vacation diver i saw no need to power the computer for 50 weeks that i did not dive. never had any problems. i wrote the date i replaced batteries on the piece of paper...

my current dive computers do not have removable batteries. i replace the batteries when they go dead.

Thanks undrwater. Was aware of the brand but haven't seen very many of those computers in the US. Checked the OSTC3 User Manual and, indeed, accepts a wide range of batteries, including the AA alkaline, 1.5V. Again, as with the Shearwater, HW accepts the SAFT LS14500 lithium 3.6V and this would be my preferred battery if I had to replace one.

I dive my Oceanic VT3 and Geo2 all year around, at least every 6-8 weeks. I change the batteries as soon as the low battery icon comes on. I've had the VT3 more than 5 years, 600 dives and the Geo 2 more than 4 years and 500 dives. I've had great battery life and they are an absolute cinch to change

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom