Do you test your nitrox?

Do you test O2 concentration of your nitrox tank?

• Before every dive.

Votes: 258 94.9%
  • Before most dive.

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Rarely.

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Never.

Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpirate:
Ditto dive-aholic!!!!
The very first minute your nitrox card is minted, you have to buy your own annyliser.
If you trust the one at the fill station that gets dropped twice a day, calibrated by idiots, operated by the shop owners stoned son, you are rolling the dice.
True story I am on dive vacation sunny florida, shop does partial pressure blending, I get my tanks filled, he asks do you want me to annylise that? I say no, I have my own. He replys good! ours is on the fritz, you have to bang it to get it to work right.
I then watched 5 people get fills, bang the annyliser, sign the log, and go diving.
Sorry not me.
Eric
When you have your tanks filled, aren't you trusting a fill station with a lot more than just the percentage of your nitrox fills? .. sounds like you need to pick a dive shop that's more conscientious of the safety of their customers

As the traveling diver, as any diver I am the one responsible for my own gas consumption. not the shop, not the fill station, not PADI. You get gas where you are, annylise and dive. At home hear on Delmarva I blend my own, anylise and dive.
The point is the same. If you dive mixed gas and do not own a personal anyliser, you are a dependant diver. Buddy dependant, shop dependant, you are a liability to yourself, and don't even relise it.
Eric

I think that it is inevitable that all divers (given time and many travel locations) will eventually meet the dive op that doesn't own or give you the chance to check the tank. Sometimes they will just give it to you with a sticker on it already filled out. It has happened to me in a few third world countries and even in established dive locations like Cozumel with fairly popular ops. Sometimes standards get relaxed or Ops get lazy or situations make it hard to follow proper standards that have been established. If they don't have, don't offer, or you don't own an analyzer...then dive air or don't dive.

Geoff_H:
OK here is a question. Do you test your AIR tanks?
always

scubadobadoo:
I think that it is inevitable that all divers (given time and many travel locations) will eventually meet the dive op that doesn't own or give you the chance to check the tank. Sometimes they will just give it to you with a sticker on it already filled out. It has happened to me in a few third world countries and even in established dive locations like Cozumel with fairly popular ops. Sometimes standards get relaxed or Ops get lazy or situations make it hard to follow proper standards that have been established. If they don't have, don't offer, or you don't own an analyzer...then dive air or don't dive.

But how do you know it's air.....

I don't use "death gas" myself, but my LDS requires user verification and logging of every Nitrox tank that goes out to a customer. I thought they all did.

Just for clarification, there are two primary reasons I don't use the stuff: (1) as a videographer I am rarely able to plan my dives and therefore do not want basements that are too shallow to allow me to capture the occasional torpedo ray... or great white, and (2) Nitrox tank $14-16, air tank $0. Since I do ~300 dives a year, that's "priceless!"

I own an analyzer

But, the LDS hooks it up to theirs when the fill is complete. I would never dive without testing... at the least it would be negligent, and the most it would be death

Back
Top Bottom