Do you thumb a dive when narced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only felt loopy narced once and it was only for the first minute after descent (a very fast descent) to 33m. My mask had completely flooded and it took me a while to work out why I couldn't see anything. As soon as I realised I had a flooded mask and that I was an eejit for not noticing that, then I felt fine. I don't think that I am not narced, just that I don't really felt particularly impaired (though I have never dived deeper than 40m) and dives have always gone to plan. I think if I wasn't feeling up to being able to monitor my air consumption and follow a dive plan I would indicate to ascend a bit, see how I felt and if I was not feeling better I would call a dive. But, never been in that situation yet.

I reckon you did good. It's recreational diving. If you aint enjoying it, call it.
I've been narked to varying degrees plenty of times. Some times happy narked, some times the dark and scary kind. (which can also be kind of a thrilling challenge)
If i dont feel able to safely ride it out i'd "thumb" it!
Better to call it and dive again another day.

I don't get the loopy narc anymore. The dark narc I can muscle through, as it actually increases my situational awareness and forces me to concentrate on dealing with the situation.

But should I find my situational awareness narrowing to the point that I'm inappropriately fixated on something like my gauges, camera, buddy, whatever, I'm taking immediate action and going shallow.

Mike

Greetings Crispix and it sounds like you and your buddy took the correct action!
When and if anyone feels that your Narcosis reaches unsafe levels, STOP-SIGNAL -AND ASCEND. By the time you "feel" it reach the unacceptable level immediate action needs to take place. This is why many people have found themselves in trouble because little issues snow ball into a chain of fatal mistakes. My mentor has hammered it into my head that you always need to remember better divers than us have met their end as a result of the most minute details. Narcosis is not minute and has caused deaths in very skilled experienced divers.
Have I thumbed a dive as a result, NO but I have ascended to clear my head as you did. Make no mistake I have felt narcosis many times but have done many deep, cold dives to learn the levels at which I can still perform safe diving tasks. When I say this I took my time to gain dive experience in small steps and did it under the watchful eye of a trusted mentor and buddy. We dive redundant systems and if and when either feels unable to perform the shut downs or impairment is beyond control we ascend to gain control. NO EXCEPTIONS!
There are deep diving procedures that can be applied to deal with narcosis. Training and the use of Tri-mix can make deep diving safely possible. CCR's can allow for deep diving as well. Both of these require training and discipline beyond the normal.
This is a topic for another thread that already exists here in one of the other forums I am sure.
Safe diving and never dive beyond your training and limits.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom