Do you want to be a better diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo, your post was very honest. I feel that way about my riding. After 20 years, I'm as good as I'm going to get, so the only goal is to enjoy what I'm doing.

Actually, I get it, I am that way about some things in my life, currently, diving it not one of them :D

D

I want to be a better diver.

More importantly, I want to ALWAYS want to be a better diver.

If I'm not striving to improve, I'll get bored. At least I fear that I will.

I work om my technique every dive, trim, buoyancy, assent rate, long hose deployment. Every few dives I will do mask removal, SMB deployment, valve drills and some line work.

Funny thing is, when I watch shows like Deep Sea Detectives and Sea Hunters I see these great divers and there not in perfect form or trim but they are some of the best divers around.

In my eyes it's not perfect form that is going to make you a great diver, it's being cool under pressure, when your 200+ feet under the water and the **** hits the fan, how are you going to react. Will you panic or will your survival instincts kick in.

By the way . . . being a better diver has nothing to do with technical training, or doing more "advanced" dives. It has to do with being BETTER in whatever way you think of improving, whether that's better buoyancy control, better buddy skills, better photography, better spearfishing, or whatever you view as your particular diving goals.
Thanks for clearing that up. . . A few seconds earlier and my answer would've been a much shorter, yes, I strive to be the best diver I can be. No more, no less.:wink:

Do I want to be a better diver, let me think, yes very much so. Being a new certified diver if i'm not diving i'm thinking about diving, on what and how to improve myself. Doing basic drills in our pool, on OW dives trying new things as in weight placement and now after reading about the tank placement I will be playing with that. Like what FISHOUT said do I want to take classes that mean nothing to me no, but do have a list that I want to do. Plus on top of that just have fun doing what I enjoy doing and be the best that I can be. People either just get older or people learn new things and feel younger.

I want to be a better diver, for me that means better bouyancy, better sac rate, better buddy, more awareness, safer, better at UW navigation and better at UW photography. But I also recognize that I dive for recreation, fun and relaxation and not for sport. So while I want to improve I don't want it to become a competition to the point I'm not enjoying my diving as much, that would defeat the whole purpose for me.

I'll admit I want to have dives where I smile and laugh, see wonderful things, and enjoy being with my buddy, even if my skills are not perfect, not that those things are mutually exclusive, I just recognize what my priorities are for me.

There's always room to improve, and in my case there's more improvement needed every day. I will never be as good a diver as I used to be, I just don't have either the time or inclination any more, but then I've done the big dives that I was going to do and now I have to try make up with skill and knowledge once I once could do with flash and verve. But I still enjoy diving and will keep it up for as long as I am able.

I think I enjoy improving as a diver more than I do most of my dives. Don't get me wrong, diving is great, but learning a new skill or trick is the most fun part for me.

wow, lurker here, seen a couple of your posts, simple dude, in a good way :D are you truly not looking to learn more?

For some reason, that surprises me . . .

D

I'm probably in the same boat as Garrabo and don't know it yet - age and reality closing in a little bit. Still want to learn more, always trying, but not likely to be diving the Doria on a rebreather. Would have started at a younger age if I had known then what I know now. I absolutely love diving but am finding out what Garrabo is talking about.......

Back
Top Bottom