Do you want to be a better diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I *really* want to become a better diver - I'm always striving for perfection in myself, and am slowly learning to not let that kill the fun in what I'm doing. But I'm always striving; always take the time within a dive to focus on doing/practicing a particular skill.

And very little of what I want to accomplish has to do with C-cards, although there are "cards" or accomplishments I'd be very proud of when/if I get there. For instance I'm working on skills to try for a Rec to Tech pass upgrade for Fundies. I'd be very proud to make that jump, especially if *I* feel I did everything well enough for a pass.

Henrik

I have two main goals. To be (1) safe and (2) completely competent in the diving I choose to do. I have several classes in my near-term horizon because I have diving goals that I cannot yet (safely) achieve ... caves and deep wrecks. Once I complete that training, my focus will be gaining complete competency in these new skills so I can execute the dives I want to do safely for both myself and my team members. Within all of that, I dive for fun.

My objective is to be trained, equipped and experienced to safely achieve my diving goals in order to experience as much fun and relaxation as I possibly can from my diving.

I was very fortunate to take several "life activity" PE classes while in college -- SCUBA, skiing, Ball Room Dancing and Tennis (although I never did much ball room dancing, much to TSandM's dismay, but I digress). At the end of my ski class the instructor told me to go ski and when I had reached a plateau, to sign up for a lesson which would get me over that hump and then go ski some more.

I look at SCUBA much the same way. While I now have numerous (way too many in fact) cards, what I should have had was more lessons and not so many classes. It is too bad "the system" is based around classes instead of lessons since we all need "lessons" now and then to shape us up.

Do I want to be a better diver? I like DD's response -- to become worse more slowly!

I guess I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I was already comfortable in the water as a free diver before I too OW, so the class was a breeze. I read and understood the manual for a couple of months before my class began. My class was fairly old school. I know how to buddy breathe, I've gone to the bottom of the pool to collect and assemble my gear before surfacing. I had to run up and down flights of stairs in full gear before towing a tired diver 500 feet during my rescue class. I worked as a DM on local dive boats and assisted instructors for years. I have a pile of useless cards somewhere collected in past classes.
My best training came from mentors who made sure I was competant with my skills before they would allow me to make deep wreck dives. I made hundreds of these dives without a problem. Around ten years ago some of my buddies began taking Fundies. For a few years we practiced S-drills during every dive. After awhile I realized I was not enjoying diving as much as I used to.
Most of my diving today involves video and photography. The buoyancy skills I aquired through the years help with being able to hold a camera still. Look at some of the dive videos on YouTube and you will see hundreds of horrible videos from shaky cameras.
I now enjoy every dive I make. I don't need to think about the latest must-have backup lights. I gave away my can light after repairing it for the umpteenth time. I cringe every time I see the term like minded divers. For me, diving is not a team sport. It is not a lifestyle. It's not a competition. I don't care what color my buddy's mask is. I'm happy that I have the skills to make technical dives, but I'm fine diving as I please and hope to feel the same way for the next thirty or so years.

I have two main goals. To be (1) safe and (2) completely competent in the diving I choose to do. I have several classes in my near-term horizon because I have diving goals that I cannot yet (safely) achieve ... caves and deep wrecks. Once I complete that training, my focus will be gaining complete competency in these new skills so I can execute the dives I want to do safely for both myself and my team members. Within all of that, I dive for fun.

My objective is to be trained, equipped and experienced to safely achieve my diving goals in order to experience as much fun and relaxation as I possibly can from my diving.
While I now have numerous (way too many in fact) cards, what I should have had was more lessons and not so many classes. It is too bad "the system" is based around classes instead of lessons since we all need "lessons" now and then to shape us up.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. I love diving and feel that something can be learned and/or practiced on every dive.

Continuous improvement does several things:
1. Keeps your basic skills tuned.
2. Keeps you current with trends.
3. Keeps you from getting complacent
4. Provides motivation to keep getting in the water.

Unlike golf.... I don't think one can ever peak out in diving.

No, I dont want to be a better diver.

What I want is to have more fun!

BUT, in order to have fun my skills must be at a level to:

1. Calm my anxiety about dying or getting injured (either me or my buddy).
2. Allow me to concentrate on the fun, not item 1. This may mean practice until certain skills are 2nd nature.

Each of my goals revolve around fun things to do. I dont have the skills to accomplish all of those things yet, therefore I will seek to improve my skills. To me practice is never fun, but playing the game...

But once I have the skills to complete the fun things I want to do, unless my goals change, I will only seek to maintain my skills so that I can continue do the fun things.

If its not fun, why do it?

Classes, certifications and dive disciplines aside, in 40+ years, I am on my 5th generation of gear. There is always something new to learn, gear set ups to refine. The latest quest, I just got a new Apollo AV2E scooter and have been visualizing proper gear distribution, body position necessary to steer in the "sit on top/hands free" mode. That should keep me busy for a while, and if it's not viable, I will learn that too.

It was 26F here in Seattle last Saturday and 50F in the water, it felt great to warm up!!!!!

About 2 years ago I was really in my comfort zone ( warm tropical water with 20m vis) dived a lot with the same people in the same gear configuration and in the same places with occasional forays to different places.

Then one time when I was home in Scotland a friend of mine fancied doing an introduction to Scuba course with a well known dive operator in Oban. I went along for moral support ( I was very cruel and never told the poor Lassie who ran the course I was a qualified diver). Both Jake and myself enjoyed it, Jake joined a dive club and got trained. I bought a dry suit and dive every chance I get in Scottish waters. I learn something new on every dive, which is just what I need.

Then one time when I was home in Scotland a friend of mine fancied doing an introduction to Scuba course with a well known dive operator in Oban.

Oban? They make a decent scotch.
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom