Does A BP/Wing really push you face down at the surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you dive a lot in Oklamhoma? If I dove in relatively small lakes or caves or some other places, comfort on the surface would be a non-issue for me.

The apostle landing at Cyprus or Thessalonica, the light of future battles already kindling in his eyes, and replete with faith as a fresh-gorged mosquito...​

Margaret Laurence, The Tomorrow-Tamer

I think PufferFish has it right. With an empty, buoyant tank behind me and my wing inflated and my weights on my waist, I HAVE experienced a mild tendency to be pushed forward -- nothing that I couldn't deal with by just leaning back, but it was noticeable. With a steel tank, or with trim weights on the cambands (which I almost always use) it doesn't happen. But one should not expect a BC to keep an unconscious diver's face out of the water -- most of them won't.

tpsde2003,

Physics, your logic and reality all agree but it's not really a problem, or at least it need not be.

Some good jackets will really jack you up out of the water and some divers appreciate this and maybe even feel they need this. If you try to get up high with a wing it will drive you forward, how can it do otherwise?

Step 1 then becomes don't try to get too high when vertical in the water. If you want to be high and floaty, lean back and eventually you will be on a raft. :). As an aside if your wing can really drive you forward hard it may be bigger than needed forcing you to dive with flapping Dumbo ears.

Configuration also enters into it all. A never positive steel cylinder will help. Keeping some weight out back on the cam bands can keep your feet up when diving and balance against the wing while vertical.

My wife and I started on jackets. I loved mine, she hated hers and was the first to go to a BP&W. She is a relatively timid diver. Before buying she borrowed one from a friend. We did a shore dive on a blustery Maine September day. When it was time to turn Ihad her surface off shore in swells to make sure she'd be OK with her stature in the water. It took her about 2 seconds to adapt and she never looked back.

I have since gone to a plate & wing as well. I don't think I can dive one iota better in it than my trusty Sherwood Avid jacket. I do like the flexibility in the configuration and modular repair ability. From trunks to stuffed drysuit it fits up in a heart beat.

In the end the gear will not make the diver but poor fit will break you fast. For many divers their plate & wing is the first BC they ever had that fit. By definition it is almost self fitting as there are few fixed elements.

If doubles and such are in the future then it's the only logical choice. Beware that done right it will probably be a whole separate rig, at least the wing.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom