Does a dive watch really need to be "Diver's" rated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These things go on Ebay fairly often. Apparently good to 700m
RUSSIAN MILITARY NAVY DIVER WATCH SOVIET DIVING USSR - eBay, Dive Computers, Scuba, Snorkeling, Sport. (end time 10-Apr-09 22:00:00 AEST)

Personally I have a Seiko "Diver 200m" (Can't remember the model number, and I'm not wearing it at the moment) which I purchased in 1990. It has survived many dives, including a stupid moment when I dropped it while tightening the strap on the surface. Luckily found it on the bottom 18m below. Also retrieved it from a pawn broker after I was able to positively identify it when it was stolen when some **** broke into my house.

Hey Bob01:

You will never go wrong with a G-Shock. I have a lot of them with all kinds of functions, solar power, atomic time keeping, phaser that can be set to stun or kill, etc.

Seriously, look at the DW-5600E, which is my favorite. I buy mine from Amazon typically because they have the best deals but you can also find them in town. They take anything you throw at them, I've had mine down to 134', used the buttons, timer, backlight, all at depth and no problems. I must be honest though, they aren't flashy and they don't scream DIVER, but they are extremely functional. But, look on a military Special Operator' wrist, and you guessed it, probably a G-Shock. No flash but functional.

The only real downside, a plague of all G-Shocks really, are the bands dry rot after a couple of years. I actually found band adapters and use a nylon band when the factory band breaks. All better. Also check out the Mudman, with bigger buttons (for those who say you can't push the buttons on a 5600).

Good luck with your shopping.

With kind regards from North Carolina,
Thomas Styron

An everyday watch rated to 200 atmospheres is NOT generally enough! You want a watch that is rated to dive with. The difference is in the seals on the crown, and controls. My WR200 citizen is fine in the pool, and likely would be fine to 33'.

My now sold Citizen Aqualand was also rated to 200 atmos, but it was designed to dive, and had the necessary seals on the controls. That was one fine watch BTW, I often regret selling it, but it was large for day to day use.

You sure you meant 200 ATMOSPHERES?

I picked up a crappy Casio at Sam's club a few years back (for like $20.00)as my back up timer... If I lose it, no biggie, I think it's depreciated enough!

But what the heck...Go get a DOXA! (I think they cost more than my first CAR did!)

I LOVE THAT! Oooohh, that's brilliant that is, I want, want, want!

I have a Casio something or other. It was like Ž£15 and has lasted three years - it's rated 50m. I keep willing it to die, but it's a trooper. It's even been poo'ed on by a sea gull.

I want one of those Soviet Diver watches, they frikkin' rule!

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa get a simple Timex iron-man and it will do everything you need a dive watch to do and if you loose it ( once) or it breaks (never happened to me in > than a 1,000 dives) you replace it for less than $40.00. I generally keep 1 extra handy. Now if you are looking for a conversation piece, get the largest and fanciest watch you can find and everyone will ask you if you are a diver. By the way, the most expensive are the most expensive to service.

This is the kind of advice my wife and I followed. We both have Timex Ironman Triathlons, rated to 200M. Watching for sales, we got them for less than $50.

I've seen a lot of really nice dive watches out there for lots of money, and while they have some nice features, the Timex works just fine. If something happens to it, it's not a big financial hit to replace it.

I have had two casio g shocks for over 20 years,the first one finally just went to pieces,but still keeps perfect time,got a new one a few years ago to replace it,so far it has been great.

Just like buying a dive knife, do you want the BIG knife, or do you want something inexpensive yet functional that you won't have a coronary over when you lose it or it's damaged?

I've had the same inexpensive digital watch on my BC for a number of years. I've replaced the battery once and I used silicone on the o-ring when I resealed the back. When it finally craps out, I'll spend another $30 or so for a new one.

Timex Reef Gear at Walmart.com. Rated to 200 meters, $43 with band. Don't think they have them anymore, but plenty of equally good substitutes. Hasn't hiccuped in two years now.

Attachments

• Watch.jpg
    Watch.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 73
I've also got the Citizen dive watch that has the computer cradle. I like it! Got it slightly used for $150 or so. My version is only good for air (no nitrox) but it's good enough for me. I like being able to look at the depth easily.
What makes it unsuitable for Nitrox? Mine measures depth, time, and surface interval. Doesn't care what mix I'm breathing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom