Does a dive watch really need to be "Diver's" rated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a 35$ Coleman watch, rated to 50 meters, works perfectly. I would not spend a ton of money on a watch.

Another vote for the Ironman. I bought it at Target on sale a year ago for around $50 and it's been on several dives with no problems. I wouldn't push the buttons at depth (I think there was even something in the owners manual about that) but it's held up just fine.

Just watch what they are rated to, not all of the Ironman watches are rated to 200m. (I know, like someone else pointed out that doesn't make it a dive watch, but it sure seems to work OK)

Of course, I did a good amount of drooling over more expensive watches before I made the purchase...

An everyday watch rated to 200 atmospheres is NOT generally enough! You want a watch that is rated to dive with. The difference is in the seals on the crown, and controls. My WR200 citizen is fine in the pool, and likely would be fine to 33'.

My now sold Citizen Aqualand was also rated to 200 atmos, but it was designed to dive, and had the necessary seals on the controls. That was one fine watch BTW, I often regret selling it, but it was large for day to day use.

I still have my Citizen Aqualand and love it. It was the first watch I ever used and is still going strong, which is more than I can say for the other dive equipment I originally purchased. I wear it above the water as well with a rubber watch cover on it. The only thing that sucks about the watch is the light. Absolutely awful. They should have just put a back glow on it instead of the weak light currently installed. Other than that. I have few complaints about the watch. Easy to see underwater (in day light). Tracks the dive well and graphs the dive on your PC. I would recommend it to a new diver who just wants to track time and depth. This particular watch does not function as a dive computer. Personally I wear a watch as a back up device for tracking time and depth, and use a dive computer as a primary means to do both as well as track my nitrogen loading.

Anyone remember when a dive watch meant it had a one-way bezel? And it was actually used as a bottom timer?

Ken

Yes. A traditional analog dive watch, depth gauge and tables were all I used for the majority of my dives since 1976.... And used the watch to time deco stops.... just got my very 1st dive computer a year ago.

I use the computer as a "backup" bottom timer/depth gauge for my traditional analog dive watch, analog depth gauge and tables :D

Best wishes.

Those Soviet Navy surplus dive watches are pretty cool, but at $300AU on the linked auction, I could get a new Suunto Gekko at my LDS for less, and that will serve as dive watch, depth gage, thermometer, and calculate my nitrogen absorption, surface intervals, etc.

Okay; the Gekko isn't as retro-cool as a Soviet Navy dive watch rated to 700M, but then again, I'm not rated to 700M either...

200 meters or you might be sorry.....hey, try it & see, what do you have to lose but a watch.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom