Does anyone see the trend that's forming?

When is this a technical discussion arena?

• Rarely

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Often

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Always

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good option would be to request that everyone put an abbreviated tech diving CV in their signature line when posting here.....ie

GUE Tech 3/ Iantd DEEP AIR (ha ha ha)
85 Cave dives last year/27Years Diving
15 Wreck Dives (deeper than 200)

3 lines pretty simple that way if your are searching for an 'experienced' POV you can weed some out. Yeah its a honesty thing but I think with a few challenges you will get it pretty close.

god forbid someone ask a question without knowing the secret handshake?!

keeping the 'tech' section open to all promotes more interest in tech diving, and eventually more tech divers to buddy up with.

Mike

It's just a question, nothing more nothing less.

I would term technical as mandatory overhead with at least one gas switch.

Someone in an openwater class isn't anywhere near being ready for technical diving, even if they have an unlimited budget and a great instructor.

Originally posted by Divesherpa
It's just a question, nothing more nothing less.

I would term technical as mandatory overhead with at least one gas switch.

Someone in an openwater class isn't anywhere near being ready for technical diving, even if they have an unlimited budget and a great instructor.

How come the gas switch? The most common definition that I have heard is a tech dive is a dive with an overhead environment; be it cave, wreck, or a deco obligation. BTW, this isn't a flame it is a question.

I'd like to call a 100' wreck penetration at 60' on air; a technical dive. (Not like I've done that yet tho' :D)

How's this as a start:

Tech = anything over and above (no pun intended) the equivalent of PADI AOW

I don't think of this as a DIR only section. Some of the DIR questions get hairy, but that's nothing new. Lot of great info here.

Doing a 100' dive for an hour in a wreck and not switching gas is going above one's level of training. I am unfamiliar with any agency who trains divers to go into deco on air and complete their deco on back gas. I'm not flaming, I just don't understand the logic in that. What's the contingency for loss of back gas on such a dive?

This is the scenario I am referring to.

What I meant is a dive with 100 ft of penetration inside of a wreck that is at a 60 foot depth. (I chose this scenario to exceed the PADI Wreck penetration limit of 140 linear feet to the surface)

If I make some small assumptions, like I can do the 100 ft in and out in 40 min. (It is an easy wreck :D) I can calculate that I'd need 112 cu ft of air to do the dive. Using rule of thirds, I'd take along 168 cu ft so I could do the dive on a pair of 98s.

This dive would also require a deco stop at 20 ft for 7 min.

So would this be considered a technical or a recreational dive?
I think that it is technical but still on air.

Originally posted by Divesherpa
Has anyone noticed that most of the people posting in the tech section are not doing anything really well technical, and the questions are well not technical at all?
It appears that people are jumping on the technical bandwagon, with several posts from people who aren't even certified.
But this is where the good stuff is! Ok, I posted here once, well.... now twice. I promise, I won't do it anymore. But... is it OK if I just take a little peek now and then? (While I'm confessing, I took a peek in the women's forum too, but that's ok. I'm married and the wife didn't catch me.)

For the record, I'm not totally DIR!

Anti-DIR. I just think that some of the DIR advocates could use a few social skills. I think it was George Carlin who said: "You know, many people use the term "holistic" when they really mean "a**holistic ""

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom