Does anyone see the trend that's forming?

When is this a technical discussion arena?

• Rarely

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Often

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • Always

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
If we do it right we will be informative without being condescending

Now THIS is a DIR I could support! You don't have to dismiss the opinions of others to prove your own. You don't have to make short condescending remarks to prove you are all that. You don't have to use a battle axe to peel carrots. Alllow others to have an opinion and respect them. Give us reasons why you hold your opinions, but have an open mind yourself. True humility lets you learn not just from your mentor... but from the babes in the world as well.

This is a BIG tech section... it has been intended for all, else we would have made tech training a pre-req to use it (and we have the means to effect that too). Someone is sure to ask a general question in here as they just don't know what constitutes a technical dive. Being patient and kind will let them explore the possibilities of what tech diving IS... you can dispel myths.

Rick, I don't know how I missed your most excellent post, but bravo! Bravo!

Brothers & Sisters of Technical Diving,
Divesherpa, Rick Murchison, HDrider, et alia,

We're all on a learning curve. Some are R&D engineers and some just want to know a bit more about how it all gets you to, and keeps you safe, at depth.

As for polls, the R&D guys depend upon 'real time' feedback to enhance equipment design. And for pollsters to engage conversation to involve the rest of us.

Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

As I figured it out, the technical section is intended for technical discussions, but at the same time it is a very good place for non-technical divers to ask questions and learn.

I am not diving technically, but very happy to read the different posts and post questions from time to time. I really enjoy the kind of knowladge sharing that goes on here. I guess that when I do start diving technically, as I intend to do, it will be based on a lot of info I read here.

But again, if it bothers some of the hardcore guys, I can always find another place to post.

Anyway, thanks to UP, LY, RM and all of the other guys I forget to mention, for always being ready to answer questions and discuss different matters.

Ari =-)

Originally posted by Ari
As I figured it out, the technical section is intended for technical discussions, but at the same time it is a very good place for non-technical divers to ask questions and learn.
Ari, as far as I am concerned you and the other non-technical divers who have questions and want to learn are a valuable part of the tech. section. Good questions help us all learn.

I think that one of the features of the tech sections is to keep technical discussions from getting lost in the very large number of purely recreational posts and at the same time keep the tech discussions from cluttering up the rec. section for those who are not interested.

So we have a technical forum for technical discussions as well as a place for recreational divers to ask technical questions and learn from those with a technical background or training.

IMO that is what the tech section is for and both of those objectives can be met at the same time...

However when those without a technical background or training begin to argue from a recreational diver standpoint and needlessly introduce confusion into the discussion neither objective can be met...

That is not to say that rec. divers' opinions don't count... but it should be obvious that they don't count as much in a technical discussion. Keep in mind that virtually all technical divers have recreational background and training but the opposite is not true. As much as this might chap someones hide: tech divers as a general rule have skill and knowledge that rec divers don't.

Of course the above has to be tempered with this caveat: on an internet forum where credentials are unverified - not all those who claim to be tech divers really are... and of those who are, not all have the same level and quality of training.

Learners Beware.

You ever notice how few posts there are by me on the rebreather forum? At this point I don't even have questions to contribute!:D

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

However when those without a technical background or training begin to argue from a recreational diver standpoint and needlessly introduce confusion into the discussion neither objective can be met...

I totally agree with your position. This should be a tech oriented section. As one of my teachers once told me "If you don't have anything productive to add, just keep quiet". I was a little insulted at the time, but as I grew older I found out that he was right. When I don't have answers I either keep quiet ro go home and do my homework. It was a lesson for life.

I appreciate the support I am getting from the technical divers and hope that in the future I will be able to add some wisdom of my own. For the time being, I am learning.

Ari :wink:

I just started my technical training last year and i dont know all or see all. I do like this board it has a lot of good conversation about technical diving, which is good because I still have a lot to learn about this type of diving, but what technical diving means to me my not be the same thing it means to any of you. There is know stupid questions only small minded people with stupid feed back. Like the all knowing all seeing technical GODS (which I am not) that think they have nothing more to learn but have every thing to teach. I prey that I never reach a point in my diving that I think I have nothing more to learn. I still have a lot to learn, if that ever does happen I hope I have scence to hang up my fins for good before I get myself or my dive buddy killed. There is a lot of good information put out on this board keep up hte good work.

:sharky:

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

You ever notice how few posts there are by me on the rebreather forum? At this point I don't even have questions to contribute!:D
There's a Rebreather Forum?
Someday....
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom