Does diving in overcast conditions require divers to have a light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we always carry lights on every dive - we stuff our small backup lights in a bcd pocket for the duration of a trip.

i use mine regularly on bright sunny caribbean days to peer into small holes or under ledges.

As per most other comments, a torch is not essential but recommended on every dive - sunny or not. Especially when wanting to check out marine life in cracks, crevices & under rocks.

Carrying an dive light IMO is always a good idea. The light can be used to signal other divers for attention, either to show them something nice or to get there attention when something is no right. The light will also help bring out the colors of everything you see in water.

In lower light conditions it is a vital tool for situational awareness without looking around to much.

Yep, at least one light on every dive. It's often been useful for looking into cracks, caverns or wrecks even on the clearest of days.

My light is a part of my weighting system.

... must be an old light. I know that was common practice back in the days of lead-acid batteries, but most modern lights are no more negative than a point-n-shoot camera.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... must be an old light. I know that was common practice back in the days of lead-acid batteries, but most modern lights are no more negative than a point-n-shoot camera.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'll double check, but I believe my light canister to be roughly 2lbs negative. I've had it for about four years so it's old, but not that old.

A light is like an octopus. There's no reason to carry it if you're sure you don't need it.

IOW - Yes, it's a good idea to carry it.

Good Day all,

My wife and I just got back from a dive (Our last dive before Jamaica) which normally on a good day we have 15 feet vis at around 30 feet. Normally we always dive around 10 am - 2 pm but today we were running late and our second dive began around 4pm.

We hit around 20 feet and it was DARK, I mean MAYBE 5 feet vis (not to mention the area has quite a bit of particulate in the water) but we could barely see our hands fully extended.

Is it normal in overcast conditions (fully overcast) for divers to require a torch/dive light of some kind?

5 feet of viz? I might do a happy dance if I had 5ft in Puget Sound some days :wink:

But seriously, I always carry 2 lights. Clip it on your BC and it's there if you need it.

Back
Top Bottom