does diving ruin magnetic strips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Submerged MRI systems will certainly do a number on them. :)

I've never seen a common Ziploc keep anything dry, and a friend had a small drybox (think it was a Pelican) implode at about 100ft. I use a small drybag like the photo posted previously and for flat items like cash and cards seem to work fine.

Enjoy Bonaire! Love the place.

I've been diving here for a week with my DL, CC, car and room keys, plus some cash in a small dry box. It works wonderfully.

You can pay for things using USD($) in Bonaire, but your change will be in NAF(guilders).

OK I've got first hand experience with this, while snorkeling down to about 15' with the magnetic strip room key it seemed to have no adverse affect. While deep diving down to 100' I inadvertantly left my outer shorts on after I got my legs in my wetsuit, so just decided to do the dive with my shorts on and I knew my room key was in there. Thought this would be a good test if it worked when I came up. I don't know at what pressure it screws it up, but it definately didn't work after that dive. it looked normal, but even when the desk clerk tried to reprogram it, it wouldn't take. They threw it away and got a new one and programmed that. So yeah I would say it does ruin the magnetic strip

Zip-Lock bags - with all the air pushed out works great.

I use a gallon bag and then one or quart bags inside.

But I when I can, I leave my stuff (Passport and drivers license) inside the hotel/hostel's safe.

OK I've got first hand experience with this, while snorkeling down to about 15' with the magnetic strip room key it seemed to have no adverse affect. While deep diving down to 100' I inadvertantly left my outer shorts on after I got my legs in my wetsuit, so just decided to do the dive with my shorts on and I knew my room key was in there. Thought this would be a good test if it worked when I came up. I don't know at what pressure it screws it up, but it definately didn't work after that dive. it looked normal, but even when the desk clerk tried to reprogram it, it wouldn't take. They threw it away and got a new one and programmed that. So yeah I would say it does ruin the magnetic strip

More likely a problem with uric acid effecting the iron in the magnet strip than the effect of pressure.

uric acid (yoor'ik) [key], white, odorless, tasteless crystalline substance formed as a result of purine degradation in man, other primates, dalmatians, birds, snakes, and lizards.

More likely a problem with uric acid effecting the iron in the magnet strip than the effect of pressure.

LOL...well I haven't pissed my wetsuit yet if thats what you're getting at

LOL maybe you were'nt talking about that...learn something new on SB every day

To regulate osmolarity, salt water fish
(a) pump uric acid out through the fins.
(b) move water in through the gills by osmosis.
(c) have kidneys that excrete large amounts of dilute (hypotonic) urine.
*(d) pump salt out through the gills.
(e) move salt in through the gills by osmosis.

Back
Top Bottom