Does Nikon make a digital Nikonos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I already have the nikonos lenes. the 80mm w/closeup kit lens really blows up the tiny critters where you can see the tiny feather gills on an arrow crab and the cyndopasts on fire coral

I got a lot better wide angle shots of the hammerheads in Cocos w/ out a strobe and using the asa800 film . was truley painless in 100+ fsw . even hand holding the strobe way up and to the left using a modeling lite to target the sharks, the shots had much less backskatter w/ no strobe. and w/no strobe I could shoot more frames as the hammerheads ghosted in and out of the dive area.I personally have come to enjoy using the nikonos 15mm not fusin w/ the strobe on panoramic type locatons. According to the literature, the sony nex 5 seems to be able to shoot well in low lite. that trip to Cocos it was often green w/suspended particulate matter on those locatons . The DMs said right at that mixing line of the blue water w/ the algae water actually brought more sharks in while in crystal clear water water fewer sharks covered the seamounts. Makes since as offshore fishing always is better if you are on the the mixing lines of the water. Clean Green particle water means flora and fauna ,which means little fish feeding and bigger ones feeding on the smaller fish and so on up the food chain. Theres not enough Beer to tell all the stories from the Cocos Island trip . It is quite an adventure into large schools of everything. THE place for big stuff .I found it is Great place for the 15mm lens

I already have the nikonos lenes. the 80mm w/closeup kit lens really blows up the tiny critters where you can see the tiny feather gills on an arrow crab and the cyndopasts on fire coral

I had a lot of trouble with the 80mm on my setup. With the crop factor on my system, it was a 160mm lens (it would be a 120mm lens with the Sony, which is more manageable), and 160mm is a lot of glass underwater. The full frame was about half of a lettuce sea slug, and the depth of field was incredibly thin. I got some cool images with the 80mm, but they took a LOT of work. I had more keepers with the 28mm and closeup kit, even though the magnification was lower.

Here are three images with the 80mm and closeup, and one image with eth 28mm and closeup:

P5040955-4 by davelewinn, on Flickr

P5040978-2 by davelewinn, on Flickr

P5040991.jpg by davelewinn, on Flickr

P5030857.jpg by davelewinn, on Flickr

Among the 80mm images, the brain coral is the only one that's really sharp. That's because it wasn't moving, while even the lettuce sea slug was moving enough that I had trouble getting it all into focus. I had no such problems with the hermit crab and the 28mm, that was an easy no-fuss photo.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but I plan to leave the 80mm at home in the future and just bring the closeup kit, 28mm, 15mm, and a fisheye lens with dome port.

Last edited:
Edward, did you try your setup with any Nikonos lenses other than 15mm? I'm curious to hear other people's opinions on the Nikonos lenses with digital cameras.

The 15mm was by far my favorite (it almost seemed to "want" to be focused and sharp, while the 80mm lens was a constant struggle to get anything other than a blur). I also got some nice shots with the Nikonos 28mm and the Nikonos closeup kit. In the future, I'll probably bring the 15, 28, closeup kit, and my non-Nikonos fisheye lens.

Sorry for the slow reply as I have been travelling frequently these days.

Our colleague had tried the Sea&Sea 12mm with Nex-5. Unfortunately, visibility was not very good. I will try to load the photos soon.

Edward

Some of the best images I've seen from the NEX system thus far are here:
Review: Sony NEX-5 in Nauticam with Nikonos Lens - DigiTalay

Too bad I don't read Thai.

I've used both Sea & Sea 12mm and Nikonos 15mm. Sea & Sea 12 is still a usable wide angle lens, where 15mm is now a razor sharp lens that works well for fish portraits to almost wide angle shooting.

I don't read Thai either, but Google translate can give you a rough idea of the text:
Google Translate

The Nikonos lenses were made for direct underwater use and had all the seals and optics for that. They are expensive back in the day, and remain so.

I've been wondering if something else might work too. Some of the NEX camera users put old movie camera lenses with C mounts on NEX to C-Mount adapters and use them manually. There were some really great 10mm F1.6 lenses made back when, by bolex, Paillard, kern, Angenieux. Serious optics. Has anyone tried this in a housing with dome port? Just wondering.

Sea&Sea 12mm Fisheye lens used on Nauticam Nex-5 housing.

Not in the very best condition, just showing the ability of the lens. Pictures are out of camera jpg and uncropped.

1166374525_VHSwS-L.jpg

1166374543_z7gP9-L.jpg

Edward

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom