Does ScubaPro Galileo Luna Computer .....is better buying than suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the issue with it dropping air pressure is only for a few seconds, i have had it happen on a wreck where there were piles of iron ore pellets, as i get away from the large piles it came back. i also have a second set of regs with a second transmitter, sometimes getting it to pair when i switch reg sets is a little tricky. i know the viper air has a similar signal issue according to the guy i dove with last friday. the display is nice, and i like most of the smartTrak software the ir port is easy to use if you can find a ir adapter, they are expensive now mine is a 2010 model back then ir adapters were $6-8

Here are my thoughts as a very satisfied SOL owner:
I want to upgrade from my Suunto ZOOP...to the Galileo Luna Computer with ScubaPro Uwatec PMG Upgrade

Have a few ( many :) ) questions.....thx in advance ! to any answer/comment

1. Does the big screen makes a difference ....?
or the watch is too big in the real world? The screen size is the biggest benefit of this computer. It is VERY well laid out, and super easy to read even on the surface or in bright, shallow water. That being said, I am generally a clear water diver. It also gives you the benefit of very long battery life (over 100 dives is very common). IF you are diving in 5' vis, then a color screen would be easier to read but at much shorter battery life. The backlight is good enough for night diving as well. When warnings appear they show as "inverted" (that is, white text on black background), a great visual alert and very readable as well. Where you really appreciate the screen size is in compass mode. The display is huge, precise, stable at any angle, and roomy enough to also show you depth, time, tank pressure, and NDL. I do a lot of navigation diving and it just can't be beat.

2. What is the actual difference vs. the SOL No difference except in software (SOL has PMG standard) and outer frame is silver on SOL and Black on LUNA. Luna can be upgrated to PMG and trimix, just like SOL.

3. Galileo Luna is equal to Suunto D6i or D9i ?.....or D4i :) Galileo is equal to top of the line models, and, by the way, has a great apnea mode for freediving as well that you can add by way of an upgrade.

4. How is Galileo Luna Vs. the Suunto D6i or D9i.....usability, "logarithm" UI etc. which one you
prefer ?
I dive with Suunto divers and have looked at their computers. For me, no comparison. I do not like the much smaller round display, not nearly as easy to interpret. Compass mode--just no comparison at all. Trade-off is size. They comment how big mine is and I could never wear it as a regular watch, which is true, but for me visibility trumps everything else and the size also allows for a very large and long lasting battery. Also, I can easily change out my own battery with no need for a trip to the shop. As for algorithm, theirs is more conservative than mine (and the Luna uses a very moderate, not aggressive Buhlman Z8 algorithm). That makes the Suunto a no-go for me as well. I could have bought anything I wanted but thought the Galileos were the best all-around.

5. Any known technical problems with the Galileo Luna.... ?
I read reviews from 2012 that it was constantly losing signal with the transmitter?
does Scubapro fix this on 2013 models I have an "older" style transmitter that supposedly has this "problem". I have never lost the signal, not once. I mount the transmitter on the same side of my first stage as the arm on which I wear the computer (right side, right arm) so it is not blocked by my body. By the way, from what I have read, if the signal does drop, the computer will search and automatically pick it back up again unless the transmitter has completely failed, so it as a minor inconvenience of a few seconds. However I always carry a back-up SPG clipped off to my waist so I never worry about it.

6. ScubaPro Uwatec PMG Upgrade is a must? for up to 100 feet diving profile? with 32/36/40 nitrox ? You do not need PMG unless you are going into gas switching dives. You can add it in the future if you need it.

and bottom line Does the 2013 model - is a good buying ?

Overall, my thought is that this computer shows all the good things that come from a solid design, top hardware, and years of refinement. It also shows an excellent policy of a company offering constant and MAJOR (apnea, PMG, Tech/Trimix) improvements through firmware upgrade. Scubapro was way ahead of its time on that. The trade-offs (B&W versus color screen, size) are well done and offer substantial benefits.

Hope this helps.

Here are my thoughts as a very satisfied SOL owner:
I want to upgrade from my Suunto ZOOP...to the Galileo Luna Computer with ScubaPro Uwatec PMG Upgrade

Have a few ( many :) ) questions.....thx in advance ! to any answer/comment

1. Does the big screen makes a difference ....?
or the watch is too big in the real world? The screen size is the biggest benefit of this computer.
It is VERY well laid out, and super easy to read even on the surface or in bright, shallow water. That being said, I am generally a clear water diver. It also gives you the benefit of very long battery life (over 100 dives is very common). IF you are diving in 5' vis, then a color screen would be easier to read but at much shorter battery life. The backlight is good enough for night diving as well. When warnings appear they show as "inverted" (that is, white text on black background), a great visual alert and very readable as well. Where you really appreciate the screen size is in compass mode. The display is huge, precise, stable at any angle, and roomy enough to also show you depth, time, tank pressure, and NDL. I do a lot of navigation diving and it just can't be beat.

2. What is the actual difference vs. the SOLNo difference except in software (SOL has PMG standard) and outer frame is silver on SOL and Black on LUNA. Luna can be upgrated to PMG and trimix, just like SOL.

3. Galileo Luna is equal to Suunto D6i or D9i ?.....or D4i :) Galileo is equal to top of the line models, and, by the way, has a great apnea mode for freediving as well that you can add by way of an upgrade.

4. How is Galileo Luna Vs. the Suunto D6i or D9i.....usability, "logarithm" UI etc. which one you
prefer ?
I dive with Suunto divers and have looked at their computers. For me, no comparison. I do not like the much smaller round display, not nearly as easy to interpret. Compass mode--just no comparison at all. Trade-off is size. They comment how big mine is and I could never wear it as a regular watch, which is true, but for me visibility trumps everything else and the size also allows for a very large and long lasting battery. Also, I can easily change out my own battery with no need for a trip to the shop. As for algorithm, theirs is more conservative than mine (and the Luna uses a very moderate, not aggressive Buhlman Z8 algorithm). That makes the Suunto a no-go for me as well. I could have bought anything I wanted but thought the Galileos were the best all-around.

5. Any known technical problems with the Galileo Luna.... ?
I read reviews from 2012 that it was constantly losing signal with the transmitter?
does Scubapro fix this on 2013 models I have an "older" style transmitter that supposedly has this "problem". I have never lost the signal, not once. I mount the transmitter on the same side of my first stage as the arm on which I wear the computer (right side, right arm) so it is not blocked by my body. By the way, from what I have read, if the signal does drop, the computer will search and automatically pick it back up again unless the transmitter has completely failed, so it as a minor inconvenience of a few seconds. However I always carry a back-up SPG clipped off to my waist so I never worry about it.

6. ScubaPro Uwatec PMG Upgrade is a must? for up to 100 feet diving profile? with 32/36/40 nitrox ? You do not need PMG unless you are going into gas switching dives. You can add it in the future if you need it.

and bottom line Does the 2013 model - is a good buying ?

Overall, my thought is that this computer shows all the good things that come from a solid design, top hardware, and years of refinement. It also shows an excellent policy of a company offering constant and MAJOR (apnea, PMG, Tech/Trimix) improvements through firmware upgrade. Scubapro was way ahead of its time on that. The trade-offs (B&W versus color screen, size) are well done and offer substantial benefits.

Hope this helps.

WOW guyharrisonphoto man
many many thx!
That defenetly a big help :)

On day I will say....You see guyharrisonphoto ?
He taught me all I know....(well, at least about the Luna :) )

Back
Top Bottom