Does ScubaPro make any BC's good for tech diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldnt there Knighthawk be considered a tech BC??? Its a wing and backplate type of setup.
Andreas

Type...

It is but isn't really. :D

A tech BC is a BP/W from a name manufacturer in that world, not a name in the general scuba business (ie Scubapro, Apeks, whatnot).

As a couple people indicated previously (Dr. Bill, etc) the Scubapro S-Tek was bascially a Transpac 1. It is ok but lacks the stability with doubles that you get with a back plate.

The Scubapro X-Tek used a traditional backplate design and is a much better tech option.

Both used the same wings and the larger X/Tek, S/Tek wing is a carbon copy of the Dive Rite Rec Wing with all the positives (decent lift, can do an ok job with both singles and doubles and has a bungee to control the cell) and the negatives (taco's too much with a single tank, is a bit too narrow for doubles causing issues with pinching of the air cell and reduced with larger doubles, and has a bungee to control the aircell) of that wing.

In any event they were very short lived and were only cataloged for a couple years. They come up from time to time on e-bay, but you would be far better off with a backplate from any number of sources paired with what ever harness your instructor is comfrotable with and/or is consistent with your dive buddy(ies)'s configuration.

The Knighthawk is a back inflate BC but is not even what would be considered a cross over tech BC. It is too lightly constructed and the D-rings are not ideally placed nor heavily enough constructed for use with stage bottles, particularly 80's.

The Dacor Rig is a cross over BC but is way too complicated, is less than ideal for D-ring placement and it tends to shed nuts and bolts on a regular basis making it in my opinion, unsafe. The Genesis Recon is a slightly better choice but does not have interchangeable wings and the 75 lb wing that it comes with is overkill for some situations. You are also, like the Rig, stuck with fixed placement options for the shoulder and hip d-rings and you are stuck with the integrated weight system. And for a lot less than the cost of either one, you could get a really nice BP/wing setup.

Why pay more for less? The ScubaPro will be the most expensive and least functional. For a lot less money you could get an OxyCheq/DSS/DiveRite wing etc on a Hammerhead plate or similar and save a bundle. N

Jebus!

Is it that hard to find a metal plate with some webbing, buckle and a few d-rings?

Hell, use an old truck fly-wheel, drill some slot holes and thread a boyscout belt into the voids.

Strap that bad-boy around your body and clip on the deco bottles. (make sure the eagle is facing front- you never know when you will have to "be prepared")

You are now ready to tech dive.

Jebus!

Is it that hard to find a metal plate with some webbing, buckle and a few d-rings?

Hell, use an old truck fly-wheel, drill some slot holes and thread a boyscout belt into the voids.

Strap that bad-boy around your body and clip on the deco bottles. (make sure the eagle is facing front- you never know when you will have to "be prepared")

You are now ready to tech dive.

No offense to the OP but that is why some people will go to any expense to save a dollar. One of my favorite sayings of which I am a prime example:shakehead:.

N

I am a new diver and have been looking at some BCs i think the Zeagle Ranger LTD might fit the bill may be a bit of a cross over to do some tech and they can do a semi custom fit only draw back is the price but if you want a BC you can maybee do some tech in that might fit the your needs

The straight skinny..

If you are going to dive doubles and want to move into "tech" diving, you NEED a backplate and wing. Get one for your single setup, you can then use it with a set of doubles when you get 'em.

There really is no debate about using a BP/W in the serious tech diver community.

I see quite a few people using independent twins with Buddy BCDs here.

Yes wings are more common but not the only kit you see.

I am a new diver and have been looking at some BCs i think the Zeagle Ranger LTD might fit the bill may be a bit of a cross over to do some tech and they can do a semi custom fit only draw back is the price but if you want a BC you can maybee do some tech in that might fit the your needs

As posted above, it you are going the technical route, you need a good BP and wing as the cross over BC's are just not going to cut it. So you can buy a cross over BC now, but it will leave tou paying more later for the BP wing you should have got in the first place. And a BP wing is probably one of the best buys around given their modular nature and the ability to mix and match plates, wings, pockets, backpads, etc.

The truth is that a BP/wing used for technical diving makes an excellent recreational BC but a recreational BC does not make a good choice for technical diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom