Does ScubaPro make any BC's good for tech diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The truth is that a BP/wing used for technical diving makes an excellent recreational BC but a recreational BC does not make a good choice for technical diving.

Amen to that.

I believe we can close this thread now, this horse has been beaten so many times it looks like a decomposed prune. :D

I stopped paying attention a long time ago.. done and done

I know you guys want to close this down, but I have a question for anyone with the older Scuba pro Tek BC's. I dive with a Scuba pro Rec Tek and love it. However, the Inflater hose valve has a very slow leak in the swivel where it attaches to the Bladder. Anyone know of a replacement option? Thanks.

I know you guys want to close this down, but I have a question for anyone with the older Scuba pro Tek BC's. I dive with a Scuba pro Rec Tek and love it. However, the Inflater hose valve has a very slow leak in the swivel where it attaches to the Bladder. Anyone know of a replacement option? Thanks.
That is the major difference between the SP wing and the DR wing - the inflator pull dump. The fitting is generic so you could replace it with a DR elbow style connection. This would be the way to go if the fitting itself is cracked.

If the inflator dump valve itself is leaking, a quick fix would be to just seal/glue it shut with aquaseal, but replacing it with a DR inflator hose assembly is a better option.

For anyone who has one that does not yeak (yet) - the first order of business is to disconnect the pull dump cable and break the habit of using it - and then consider replacing it. It's a really bad idea to have that particular failure point at the top of your wing as if the valve fails it is pretty much impossible to trap air in the wing in anything approaching a normal swimming position. And while in some instances the failure point thing is possibly overblown, this is not one of those instances. It is very common for shoulder dumps to break from excited divers pulling too hard on them. In a rec situation it is not that serious as the diver just drops weight and goes directly to the surface - this is however something that is not usually an option in an overhead "technical" environment.

Thank you for the reply. I did not know if it was generic and I will see about changing it out with a DR valve. There is not a good seat where the two flat plates connect...allowing air to trickle out between. I was unable to find any cracks. Appreciate the help.

Cheers, Roadtrip

Back
Top Bottom