Does this really ever happen? How often has /does a regulator actually fail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sort of on topic, I had my deco reg freeflow with about 30 min of deco to do. I admit it wasn't the best part of the dive. I had to feather the tank the whole time. This was a result of some maintenance I did on the 2nd stage, and didn't check thoroughly enough. When I got home I adjusted it so more pressure was needed to crack it and haven't had an issue since.

So this is a mx issuef (on my part) vs. a regulator mfg failure.

Typical failure rate distribution.

The typical statistical failure rate follows a curve that we call (in engineering) a bath tub distribution. Think about the shape of a bath tub. On the far left and the far right the raised walls represent high number of failures. In the center the flat bottom represent very low failure rate.
if we are still referring to the TEKNA regs; I also know someone in Australia who had it fail to deliver air twice at depth. Apparently, it is a design fault; where a small amount of corrosion on a "pin" causes it to stop sliding or moving & will happen unexpectedly and possibly between services. A design fault that renders it too risky to use vs other super reliable options.

if we are still referring to the TEKNA regs; I also know someone in Australia who had it fail to deliver air twice at depth. Apparently, it is a design fault; where a small amount of corrosion on a "pin" causes it to stop sliding or moving & will happen unexpectedly and possibly between services. A design fault that renders it too risky to use vs other super reliable options.
After almost 8 years, I doubt we are still referring to the TEKNA regs.

How often has /does a regulator actually fail?

Not talking about an out of air situation.

I'm talking a situation where you have plenty of air in your tank and you simply can not breathe off your reg.

Also to expand on this, how many of these regs were actually maintained properly?

smileyvault-popcorn.gif

Yes I have seen two failures that are not free flows where you can simply just feather the valve.

First was on my dive buddies second stage his venture adjustment screw and set screw on the spindle somehow blew out of the spindle causing the second stage to completely fail. Left post was shut down and had to abort the dive and finish deco on right post.

Next was on accent from 130 meters (426ft) my dive buddies first stage on one of his deep trimix bailouts all the the sudden started blowing gas everywhere. Valve was shutdown and then cracked open and shut really quick so we could see exactly what was happening. Gas was gushing out of the seam between where the diaphragm sits. This happened at around 115 (377ft) meters. After dive was done the reg was instantly taken apart to find that the diaphragm had some how extruded out from the body.

1643687725072.png

Reactions: Jax
Ive been on a dive holiday in the tropics and had the misfortune to have been given a tank that had JUST had a hydro done. Pretty clear now that the tank hadn't been properly dried. The filter in my first stage was blocked with a sludge of ally oxide shutting off all air flow.

I am sure that somebody somewhere in this wide world has a TEKNA regulator and is still diving with it :p

Thanks, well this post come up from a search I did about Tekna failures - so I was referencing that; also because I just saw one for sale on eBay so it is relevant to some for sucker if they buy it (no parts, kits, no safety). And the explanation about the Tekna is still partly relevant to up-stream 2nd stages to some extent still. Maybe you aren't, or never did talk about Tekna regs but it still may be of interest even out of curiosity to others & the points about it added a bit of info to the correct comments about the usual path to failure.

Does this really ever happen? How often has ... - ScubaBoard​

https://scubaboard.com › ... › Advanced Scuba

21 June 2014 — How often has /does a regulator actually fail? ... Back in the '80s, my father had his Tekna regulator fail to deliver air at depth, twice.

I am sure that somebody somewhere in this wide world has a TEKNA regulator and is still diving with it

That would be me. I service them myself and use the all metal body and metal modules. Keep the main diaphragm fresh and pliable so it flexes and filters inline at the 2nd. I also have shut off valves on each 2nd. Hi performance and reliable since 1983.

My regulator went into run away free flow last year. Yeah, it had just been serviced. But the issue occurred after the 7th dive on that trip. An “expert” on the boat said that I should have test dove the newly serviced reg in a pool before diving. I pointed out that the issue happened on the 7th dive so there was no way that a pool check out would have worked (all things being equal). It happened towards the end of the dive. I had about 1400 lbs when it went into free flow. There were two divemasters in the water and one was up with some divers on a safety stop. I got the attention of the divemaster with us that I had the free flow and went up to the safety stop. I figured that I would be able to do the safety stop but I did not have enough. The divemaster there gave me his secondary. When I got back to my local dive shop, I turned it in. It turned out to be a bit of plastic that got into the diaphragm during service. I did not even miss a dive. The dive boat had a back up reg. Yeah it was clunky but better than missing a dive. I rented a reg for the rest of the trip and the rental reg was quite nice.

I had an upstream regulator (a Poseidon "Odin") fail at about twenty meters, years ago -- a single time -- back when we would send out our equipment, for servicing in batches. The overpressure valves, then located on the hoses themselves, did their job; vented excess gas; and allowed for a loud though safe ascent.

It was due, we later determined, to an o-ring failure at the HP seat. When properly installed on a drift (see below), that seat (on the 2960s) was initially inserted at an angle, to avoid any direct o-ring contact with the knife edge of the HP bore.

When that first stage was disassembled, that grease-encapsulated o-ring (back then, they larded everything up, but good) had been nearly severed.

That shop, now long gone, simply gave us a few spare o-rings, though no apology whatsoever; and were further ticked, that we demanded back our other gear, then set for repair.

Two takeaways -- upstream regulators are indeed safe and will continue to deliver air upon a first stage failure, regardless of popular myth; and, secondly and more relevantly, we began to perform all of our subsequent overhauls, in-house, without further incident . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 11.24.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 11.24.35 AM.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 33

Back
Top Bottom