Doing it Left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The key word regarding PADI teaching long-hose is Tec. Most recreationa divers would preceive the long hose as inconvenient. An octopus can stay attached to a scumball through a day of diving. The main just hangs conveniently and goes in the mouth in a simple movement.

Gearing up with a bungeed octopus is an extra step to don the necklace. Managing a long hose on the main requires clipping it off or it will hit the floor and a big more effort to gear up. Not a lot of effort in reality, but inconvenient for the once or twice a year diver.

Drop down to a more convenient 39" hose and it goes under the diver's arm and will make for an uncomfortable pull on the regulator unless a 90 degreee fitting is used, which may reduce breathing prerformance. However, this would be long enough to handle the recreational out of air emergency. I suppose the necklace only offers a slight improvement over some other way of attaching the backup reg to a BC. That would result in a donate the main system without the preceived inconvenience.

It would be an improvement over what we have now because everyone would donate their main. Let's see:
1. Standard Main/Octo, hoses on right.
2. Standard Main/Octo on left.
3. Either of the above with octo in a pocket, including the HUB.
4. Alternate air source mounted on BC inflator.
5. Long Hose/Backup on necklace
6. Standard Main/long hose on octo, bungeed somewhere.

Add further permutations. Long hose required for recreational divers is not likely to happen. But, just a switch of the 28" and 39" hoses with an efficient angle fitting on the main, might be something to work towards. Unless you want an all or nothing world.

As some of you know, I recently started using a BP, long hose, bungeed secondary, low volume mask, jet fins. In short, the whole enchilada. Before getting there, I tried pretty much every type of gear that's available on the market. Living in a large city, I took advantage of the fact that I have several LDS available in my area. I tried several jacket-style and back-inflate BC's as well as the soft harness. The BP got my preference (first point).

Despite the number of LDS, only one is a Halcyon dealer. In addition, while there are more OMS and DiveRite dealers, the BP/W are never in the front window, often available only by special order. So, if you don't look or ask for a BP, you usually won't be offered one (second point).

I do not have any stats, but I'm pretty sure that most "divers" in the market for buying gear are resort divers. They won't know and won't be interested in anything beyond what's in their OW manual. After all, their C card says they are divers. I often even see customers at the shop buying their gear before starting their OW cert. They'll buy anything that the LDS will recommend as long as they deem the price acceptable. And the Hub looks sooooo much better than anything else :wink: (third point).

Since most buyers get whatever is in their OW manual and/or what the LDS has in store, I doubt that we'll see any major change in the gear configuration unless one of the major agencies start recommending it. And since the B/P is not more expensive than other BC's, has little upgrade options and a much longer lifespan (oh yeah, I forgot the $15 webbing replacement cost), there is little incentive to sell it, especially since Halcyon seems to authorize the dealers to take a smaller margin than SP, for instance. As a result, I'm not convinced that we'll see this configuration become mainstream anytime soon (fourth point).

Finally, my last point. I don't really care. It's a free country and a free economy. I'm convinced that the BP is a better set up. I think divers should have the opportunity to try it out in the water and make their own opinion. As a recreational diver with little interest in overhead environments, what matters to me is the experience of my buddy, his comfort in the water and whether or not he knows how to strip my gear (as I know how to strip his) and to properly respond in an OOA situation.

My $.02.

Luftgespinst once bubbled...
[BWhy are new DIR-F participants always so zealous?
[/B]
Perhaps a better question might be: why are some new DIR-F participants so rude? :(

(Lest some inocent folkes take offense, I was thinking mostly of dd and ww.)

landlocked once bubbled...
Perhaps a better question might be: why are some new DIR-F participants so rude? :(

You think I'm rude? Here's rude:Edit by Ckharlan66

WW

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

landlocked.... that was rude! :wink:
Did he just complete a DIRF? That would explain it...
:wink:

landlocked once bubbled...

DD & WW rude? Nah, they just know their stuff and cut to the chase.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
DD & WW rude? Nah, they just know their stuff and cut to the chase.

I admit I can be rude. Certain things tend to get me in just the right mood. Examples might be things like people without a clue trying to change or argue against systems that work, talking up equipment or techniques that are garbage, preaching unsafe diving practices for the sake of convenience, instructors who cut corners for the same reasons, etc. Little things like that.

I really couldn't care less if "landlocked" thinks I'm rude, I think he's clueless. I do think his profile picture is cute though.

WW

Rude is in the mind of the beholder.

One man's rude is another man's "DUDE!"

and consideration, AND talking to other divers and NOT the LDS, I chose to purchase a BP/W. I am really happy with my choice and I hope to use it for years to come.

I plan on taking more classes, diving more, and eventually learning technical diving. I think that people need to be comfortable with their own gear choices and configurations and we should be accepting of other divers opinions.

After all...that's how we learn, isn't it, from each other? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom