Doing it Left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Pez,

I'm thinking do it yourself extended range trimix courses. We sell them the gear and the course (for a fraction of what other trimix courses cost). After their dives we can recover the equipment and sell it again.

BTW, leadweight there is a bunch of stuff in the IANTD tech manual about the marshal arts principals and the use of meditation in preparing for a dive. The use of medetation and visualization to mentally as mental preperation isn't new. Tom Mount is big into that stuff. Not only will marshal arts training improve your diving it better enables you to deal with DIR apponents. LOL

Dee once bubbled...
Sounds good to me with the exception of
I have been using a Zeagle Octo+ for over 5 years, through several OOA emergencies, with no problems at all.

Can you give me a good reason for your statement?

Repeat after me...The reg goes in my mouth...The inflator goes in my hand...the reg goes in my mouth...the inflator goes in my hand... ... ...

For this reason I am searching for alternative approaches (possibly Yoga) are going to be helpful in achieving relaxation in the water.
Have you considered the possibility of air-driven BC massage units? I think that an extra HP hose would provide the necessary pressure to power the massage unit. Massages are very relaxing, so it only makes sense that to provide the ultimate underwater relaxation, a BC massage unit would facilitate DIL goals admirably.

There is also the possibility of incorporating aromatherapy into DIL diving, too. Scents such as vanilla, peach, seal blood and other relaxing aromas could provide substantial enjoyment for DIL divers.

I think that the logical equipment platform for implementing these ideas is the H.U.B., as it already represents the apex of diving engineering.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Yes... comfort without competence.

"I want relaxation... and I WANT IT NOW!"

bwahahahahah.... you are funny Leadweight :D

What a kidder! Good one.

If I were kidding, I would have saved this for next Tuesday. Are you trying to tell me that competence only results from discomfort? This is about recreational diving. It is supposed to be fun. If you want to be uncomfortable go to boot camp.

Mike you are a genius!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Hey Pez,

I'm thinking do it yourself extended range trimix courses. We sell them the gear and the course (for a fraction of what other trimix courses cost). After their dives we can recover the equipment and sell it again.

Our profit margins would be huge. :)

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Repeat after me...The reg goes in my mouth...The inflator goes in my hand...the reg goes in my mouth...the inflator goes in my hand... ... ...

And YOU repeat after ME...There's more than one way to do it, the inflator button still works....There's more than one way to do it, the inflator button still works....

The future as predicted by..... well... a moose!

Wreck Writer has stated his opinion that the future of the Dive Industry will lean toward DIR ideals. I would agree partially. The trend that I see splits between DIR equipment and Air2 sorts of devices.

On the other hand, we are definitely seeing the effect of DIR on the industry. With that as the basis I will venture forth to make these predictions for the next 5 years:

1. Octos will become a thing of the past.
2. Computers will become DIR.
3. Alternative second stages will survive and become mainstream.
4. Bungieed octos will become the second most popular choice.
5. Donating the primary will become universal.
6. People eat fish and many people in the world are hungry. Any additional regulation to the fishing industry will need to account for that.
7. Less "boot camp" like forms of DIR-F will be offered by various agencies.
8. GUE will become considered a main stream alternative although it will retain the elitist and teckie image. However, the gap between the "industry" and GUE will shrink by virtue of additional classes and empasies on the part of the industry.
9. The only other way to become comfortable breathing underwater, besides experience, will remain the same, that is to be comfortable with death.
10. Money and certification mills will continue and divers will continue to do stupid things which will kill them.
11. DIL will never make it. (Way too individualist and far too political.)

Flame away. I can take it. Besides, my crystal ball never lies! :D

leadweight once bubbled...
To Nickjb

DIR definitely focuses on fundamental issues like bouyancy, movement, trim and improvements in software. However, I am trying to get away from the standardized gear cofiguration requirement and the level of commitment required by DIR and technical diving in general.

Many technical diving instructors challenge their students in various ways like turning off their air and simulated panicked diver attacks. These experiences are helpful in building confidence, but may be too much for some divers.

For this reason I am searching for alternative approaches (possibly Yoga) are going to be helpful in achieving relaxation in the water. I am nearly there, but I feel it took me too long and would like to help other divers find this with greater speed.

I welcome suggestions from DIR types in migrating any applicable techniques that are not gear based.

Aa an addition to the original post, DIL advocates that all divers be scuba rescue certified.

Funny, you want relaxation, but what you're proposing actually creates confusion and stress.

1. Everyone has a different BC. Great. So when the sh*t hits the fan, you have to figure out what your buddy has to mitigate the solution. Oh yeah, you're solo diving. Never mind. You don't have a buddy to figure our YOUR equpment and help you. That was another thread, wasn't it?

2. Level of commitment. I guess you're back to the $99.00 DIL weekend special, eh?

3. Practicing air drills. So when it happens to you, you panic because you've never practiced the skills needed to fix the problem. Brilliant. Doesn't relaxation come thru building confidence?

Total relaxation? I think you were sleeping when you came up with this one. Maybe you should change this to DIIB- Doing It In Bed!! You can put the tank on the floor, and with the long hose just breathe and relax away. Total relaxation (COMFORT) comes from CONFIDENCE AND COMPETENCE.

I suppose that the certifying agency LADILI (Loosely Associated Doing If Left Instructors), will issue C-cards in you choice of pastel colors. Since they lean to the left will the dive tables be liberal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom