Doing it Left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight once bubbled...
If I were kidding, I would have saved this for next Tuesday.
I figured you were joking with the yoga comment... since folks call DIR a religion and all.

Well... OK... I like your idea of a massage unit for the backplate... or.. was that your idea?

I don't know what you mean by waiting until next Tuesday.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I figured you were joking with the yoga comment... since folks call DIR a religion and all.

Well... OK... I like your idea of a massage unit for the backplate... or.. was that your idea?

I don't know what you mean by waiting until next Tuesday.

I'm guessing that Tuesday is April fools day.

DIR leaves out the snorkel. I suppose for balance (aids in relaxation) and contrast with the competition, DIL will use a snorkel on each side of the head.

Will DIL ijncorporate improvements like....

More robust retractors...so the spring or wire don't break when they get tangled in everything.

Wider, heavier consols so they work better as a club or a boat paddle.

Candy coated inflators for divers who put them in their mouth.

lal7176 once bubbled...
Do you work for OMS or Diverite by any chance!:D

Answer: No

Landlock's prediction that less intimidating forms of DIRF will become commonplace is something that DIL is intended to promote. There are no shortage of posts around here about shortcomings of the major training agencies. AOW should be revamped to concentrate on bouyancy. trim, air consumption and movement. The instruction process is a bit too much of a cookbook process and needs to be individualized more. However, existing instructor training is a bit too quick to produce the kind of skilled individual capable of this. Think about it. Instructors are minted in a month or two. It takes four years to become an elementary school teacher. Really good shops make new instructors assist for a long time and nearly retrain them.

Some of the comments from the technical divers illustrate something that I have been saying for a while. There is a huge disconnect between the technical diving and recreational diving communities. Technical divers say things to recreational divers which may make sense in the context of technical diving but make little sense in the context of recreational diving.

One certainly needs to know what to do in an emergency. However, this knowledge and the related confidence are something that is a bit different from what I have in mind. In my professional life I have seen people that can remain incredibly calm through difficult situations over which they have no control. Others stay tense even though they have the skills to deal with the problem.

Don't joke about the Yoga. Breath control and relaxation are the key to ultra low air consumption and Yoga is about both. Most of my exposure to Yoga was years ago, but a recent session on breathing and relaxation helped.

Quick fix? Is a weekend of DIRF a quick fix? If a quick fix works is it bad? Does becomming a better diver have to be an intimidating PITA?

If I had had an experienced diver as a mentor it would have sped up the learning process quite a bit. Something to think about.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
DIR leaves out the snorkel. I suppose for balance (aids in relaxation) and contrast with the competition, DIL will use a snorkel on each side of the head.

Will DIL ijncorporate improvements like....

More robust retractors...so the spring or wire don't break when they get tangled in everything.

Wider, heavier consols so they work better as a club or a boat paddle.

Candy coated inflators for divers who put them in their mouth.

I don't use a snorkel when I dive. Some divers like to have them to keep water out of their mouth when waiting for a boat in rough seas. It is far better to learn how to do that without a snorkel. I don't use retractors and believe that their use is a bad practice due to the possibility of entanglement. My computer is wrist mount and I have an SPG without a console. However, I see nothing wrong with a small console without a compass. Some divers like having their guages in one place and it does eliminate the task of strapping on a computer while gearing up.

Please, find a different name for your venture. left handed people have been persecuted enough by our society and corporate america, don't add to the long list of peculiarities that left handed people are saddled with. Really, call it something else!! If you don't like DIR, then that's fine, but you know what, DIRF was not a PITA, and the intimidation of new challenges is not bad, that is how we learn. You can keep the DIL. but to me it means Doing it Leadweight.

JeffAustin once bubbled...
Please, find a different name for your venture. left handed people have been persecuted enough by our society and corporate america, don't add to the long list of peculiarities that left handed people are saddled with. Really, call it something else!! If you don't like DIR, then that's fine, but you know what, DIRF was not a PITA, and the intimidation of new challenges is not bad, that is how we learn. You can keep the DIL. but to me it means Doing it Leadweight.

The name Doing it Left was inspired by the term copyleft. I don't think that DIR is broken the way the copyleft people think that copyright is broken, but I do think the name is easy to remember and reflects the idea that some reform would be beneficial.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom