Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatH:
In any course of study it is nice to have a comprehensive textbook which goes beyond what is taught in the class in both breadth and depth. In the case of the GUE texts they tend to be a teaser for the class. This is a shame as it would be nice to have a comprehensive textbook to flush out the training rather than a brochure to introduce it. The DVDs are good. I think this is one of GUE's few weaknesses.

Pat

Thanks for your thoughts, and I'm aware that we constantly struggle to balance the book content and the course. In many respects I see this thread as a look at the course individually and then the book individually and when viewed from that prism I can understand why some would believe that there are shortages. However, I believe when viewed through the collective prism, I feel confident that the book along with the class provides an educational standard that far exceeds anything else available. However, that being said, we are constantly trying to stay fluid and are always looking for feedback to improve our training, so thanks for your thoughts..

Thanks

I think the fundamentals book is a good introduction, it takes the DIR-F to get the full package.

That said I would like to see a detailed reference book available. In the commercial diving world you will find nearly everybody has shelves full of books that are full of detailed information. We do not trust ourselves to remember all of this stuff so when we plan a job we pull out the books and recheck all of the stuff that will apply to the job.

It is also handy as a little light reading after dinner. :eyebrow:

As an agency, you might want to make the reference books limited distribution, that is only available to people who have completed a course. Or you may want to make them more available, your choice, there are pros and cons both ways.

Even though my body keeping me out of the water is making it unlikely that I will ever take a GUE course I am glad that they are there as an alternative choice to the 'diver mill' agencies.

headhunter:
Not having taken the class yet, I view the book as a primer which gives me some "pegs" to hang future information on.

This would be like using a math primer to learn to add and subtract. It gives you a foundation upon which to build and may mention higher math before you actually learn more about multiplication, division, geometry, algebra, trigonometry and calculus.

Bob, as a recent DIR-F participant, would you say that this is a fair statement about the book?

Christian

I think the book only begins to scratch the surface. A lot of the book is on equipment, and a lot of it is on actually fairly obvious things (skills, health, consistant reactions, consistant equipment, etc).

The book isn't going to teach you how to do an s-drill, I don't think it mentions CG drills, it doesn't touch rock bottom and air planning, it doesn't really touch situational awareness and "environment, equipment, team." It does mention things like an expert diver should be able to know his buddies air consumption without asking -- and that awareness implies you should be picking up situational awareness and team skills -- but its kind of an outline of a boat in the fog and doesn't really describe the boat.

I also think that if the book is meant as an introduction to GUE philosophy and techniques in the really broad sense that it seems to be that it doesn't really sell the usefulness of videotaping classes. I'm not even sure if the book mentions it or not, but GUE could promote this aspect of their training a lot more.

Rule #6 could use a little bit more explanation as well. I always thought it was just kind of a joke going into the class -- I didn't realize how much sense it would make coming out of it.

I would have to second this notion. Establishing a strong theoretical foundation in documentation is essential to move DIR out of, what some would argue, is a relatively clandestine "elite club." Some would perceive that such a move might demonstrate their intentions are consistent with what they preach - a safer dive community - rather than the misconception of a marketing strategy. Provided thats where GUE would like to go of course....

pipedope:
I think the fundamentals book is a good introduction, it takes the DIR-F to get the full package.

That said I would like to see a detailed reference book available. In the commercial diving world you will find nearly everybody has shelves full of books that are full of detailed information. We do not trust ourselves to remember all of this stuff so when we plan a job we pull out the books and recheck all of the stuff that will apply to the job.

As an agency, you might want to make the reference books limited distribution, that is only available to people who have completed a course. Or you may want to make them more available, your choice, there are pros and cons both ways.

Even though my body keeping me out of the water is making it unlikely that I will ever take a GUE course I am glad that they are there as an alternative choice to the 'diver mill' agencies.

pipedope:

I would agree that as one progresses through the various levels that GUE offers, it would be nice to have a set of reference materials. They don't all have to be written under the GUE banner. Although, I would imagine that over time this may become the case.

To be fair to GUE, I think that they have already started to help people do something like this in that they offer a "recommended reading list" on their website. Here is the URL for easy reference:

http://www.gue.com/classroom/reading.shtml

We must also remember that this is still what one would consider a fairly new organization. It takes time to put together quality materials.

That's my opinion anyway.

Christian

The DIR-F workbook does go into rockbottom and other stuff have you guys taken a look at it? Of course it only covers basic things. I've had people tell me that the book sucks and its a waste of $$ cause they couldnt learn bouyancy OOA drills from it. Crazy world we live in huh?

WaterDawg:
The DIR-F workbook does go into rockbottom and other stuff have you guys taken a look at it?

Really? Where? I was just looking for that info the other night. The only place I saw any mention of gas management was in the section that stated what various levels of divers should be able to do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Really? Where? I was just looking for that info the other night. The only place I saw any mention of gas management was in the section that stated what various levels of divers should be able to do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
The Dir-F Workbook is different than the "Book". Its meant to be a notepad for the Dir-F class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom