Doing my DM & Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the DM standards changed a couple of years ago there is much less theory involved than previously - but still more than on recreational courses you will have done up until now. Before the programme changed DM & Instructor theory was virtually identical, but now the DM focuses much more of the practical elements and leaves much of the in depth study of the harder topics (Physiology, Physics, Deco theory & Equipment) to the Instructor course. It is still important to know and understand these areas at a basic level as a DM though - if not for your own good practically then purely to save embarrassment in not being able to answer your students questions! My advice would be to use the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving as much as possible for background reading and prep for knowledge reviews and exams. Its an awesome resource and is both interesting and educational. Good luck, i'm sure you'l do great :)

---------- Post added November 10th, 2013 at 03:07 PM ----------

Are the swim tests still:

400m swim
100 tired diver tow
800m snorkel
15 min float

Yes, these are still the watermanship tests. Also in this section is the Equipment exchange/stress test. All 5 of these are scored out of 5, and you must meet a minimum combined score of 15 to pass.

A few years ago I made a bulk purchase of some scuba books. I did read the Divemaster manual and thought it was worthless. What struck me crafty is waiting to the end to tell the student that dive ops prefer instructors over dive masters and you need other skills. For example, diesel mechanics for boat repair or a captain's license. The book was also chucked full of silly anecdotes: The bitchy DM that was curt to the divers. The up all night DM with the sick nephew, the divers thought partied all night. The happy go lucky selling machine. etc.

If it's like the old DM course, concentrate on chapters 3,4,5 in the encyclopedia. Verry little on the tests from 1 & 2--maybe a question on tides?

Starting in December I am doing my Divemaster and then my Instructors a month later all part of the same internship, so I get the on-the-job training.

Anyway I am curious for those who are DMs and Instructors how you found the theoretical side of the course?

I am not exactly sure what to expect. It is difficult, harder than rescue? Is it more about the theory and knowledge than the diving (since diving is covered a lot in OW and ADV) much like Rescue was (although that covered a lot on technique).

Any help would be appreciated. I'm really excited to get started but the more I think the more questions I get.

Thanks

15 out of 25 is irrelevant. You get them all correct, ok? If you want to become a teacher, then you must know a lot more than the course book says, so that you can answer the questions of your pupils. That level of knowledge requires hard work, but a passion for diving will help.

You will also need a physical ability to rescue people. And you need that for real. It would really suck to see a course participant die...

Not irrelevant at all if you need much training to be able to re-capture your great swim stroke of 40 years ago (and to build back up the SWIM muscles) to get a 3 on the 400. I agree the tests should be about ability to rescue people (what else would they be for?). Some feel they are simply to make sure you are in shape and totally comfortable in water. In shape may have very little to do with scoring well on the 400. For the float (hands out especially) positive or negative buoyancy factors in much more than being in shape--don't forget to drown proof if you have to, and score your 5. But all that's been discussed to death.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

This is actually (at this stage) the only time I'm not overly concerned that I won't pass this (which probably means I'll fail, lol). I've just come to realise that in all my courses, and with different providers in different countries, it is extremely hard to fail these things.

That said, I won't be taking it easy and plan on studying every night, learning it bit-by-bit.

I did AI (and later the IDC and IE) this summer and observed an IE while completing the AI course. Of the 18 people doing the IE, 4 failed one or another of the written tests and another 4 failed either the confined water or open water testing. What is key to getting through the IE is a good Course Director. The key to becoming to good instructor is learning every damn thing you can possibly learn about teaching, and the sport of diving. Entering into leadership courses with anything short of a committed and professional attitude will, at best, make you a mediocre DM or Instructor. I wish you the very best in your studies!

the material should be of enough interest to you that it should be a purely positive experience doing the theory. the PADI encylopedia for rec diving is, I believe, quite a good repository of information and a good start for people wanting to know more. obviosly there are better, more technical texts available but I think they've done a good job with the document.

It astounds me how DM's just draw a blank when you start to get into the technicalities of partial pressure and half times. I had an interesting discussion with an AOW as to whether or not saturation/loading was linked to breathing rates (he thought it was) and the DM and instructor guiding us sat there and said nothing until the OWSI opened his mouth to say something compltely incorrect. At that point I walked away muttering something along the lines of "I suggest if you're interested read deeper into diving by John Lippmann"

having a good understaning of the technical details of diving is as important as knowing the skills and being able to lead IMO. certified divers look to you as the fountain of knowledge.

I did AI (and later the IDC and IE) this summer and observed an IE while completing the AI course. Of the 18 people doing the IE, 4 failed one or another of the written tests and another 4 failed either the confined water or open water testing. What is key to getting through the IE is a good Course Director. The key to becoming to good instructor is learning every damn thing you can possibly learn about teaching, and the sport of diving. Entering into leadership courses with anything short of a committed and professional attitude will, at best, make you a mediocre DM or Instructor. I wish you the very best in your studies!

The key to.getting through any instructor exam is knowing the material. Backwards, forwards, sideways. Having someone who can get you through the exam by getting you to.parrot the right material is meaningless down the road. Otherwise we would not.have people.walking around with instructor cards who don't feel capable of teaching their first class after the exam on their own. Those people should.just hand their cards back.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom